1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well that was a brief honeymoon: FireNickSaban.com goes live

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Sep 27, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

EveryDayShouldBeSaturday is reporting the website went live hours after Georgia beat the Tide in OT last week.
    Apparently it is still owned by a Miami Dolphin fan website.

Any other "FireCoachD-Bag.com" web sites up and running yet? Weis's domain is owned by a Notre Dame fan site.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

He should know damn well he'll never win being in the same conference with Florida and LSU.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Every year Tuscaloosa moves away from the Bear/Joe legacy, tougher it is to win consistently.

You want to go there . . . WHY? Compared to other places you might possibly go?

Want to hear these answers.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Spent much time in Alabama?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Was Fire Ron Zook the first one of these sites?

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I saw the writing on the wall, ironically, from radio.

While driving last Saturday, I listened in to ESPN's College Gameday radio show. They kept interviewing these Bama fans in the crowd, and they kept talking about ... you guessed it ... Bear. They found a kid named Bryant in the crowd, and they interviewed his father, who went on and on about how he had to name his first-born after the greatest coach who ever lived.

These people are fucking delusional, and no one not named Bear will ever be good enough for them, at least not until their older fans die.

On Saturday, did many of them want to talk about the coup they landed in Saban? How bright their future would be? That they already are clearly one of the league's most well-coached teams, especially on defense, where Saban has worked wonders?

No. They wanted to talk about the Bear. Of course they did.

Walk around Knoxville and find ANYONE on gameday talking about General Neyland's perfect record against Bear. Go find more than a few people in Athens who consume themselves in "Well, Dooley woulda did this" talk. I wouldn't blame the Ole Miss fans if they say around and told Vaught stories, because the alternative is talking about Coach YawYaw.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just another way Alabama is stuck in the 60s and 70s....

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Far be it for me to ever defend the colossal douches who are Crimson Tide fans, but I don't seriously think that even those idiots want Saban gone... Now, if he loses to Auburn, they'll want him dead, but that hasn't happened yet...

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

This is such a tired fucking subject. Alabama fans just want to win, they don't give a shit who their coach is if he wins. Saban will be there as long as he wants to be there.

Every big-time program has its ghosts. You can damn-well bet Paterno's shadow will be on the Penn State program for the next 50 years, as will Bowden's at FSU. Michigan fans still gush over Bo Schembechler and he never won jack-shit.

Bear Bryant dominates Alabama football unlike any figure at any other SEC program because no other SEC program has a Bear Bryant. Neyland I guess you could make an argument for, but he was in the pre-TV era, when college football was still far behind baseball, boxing and horse racing in terms of both popularity and media attention.

Dooley won six SEC titles and one national championship in 24 years. Bryant won six NCs and 14 SEC titles in 25 years. There's no comparison.

Bryant won in the iron-man era and the free-substitution era. He won pre-integration and post-integration. No one else can say that.

But back to Alabama fans and their lack of perspective ...

They loved Franchione until he mailed in the 2002 Auburn game and left without talking to his players. Shula and DuBose were morons as human beings, and even worse as coaches, but they were still highly regarded until they started losing home games to Central Florida and Mississippi State.

Stallings was not run off by the fans, but by the AD. He could have stayed as long as he wanted to.

Perkins was Bryant's immediate successor, so he probably suffered a little bit. But he was an NFL guy before he came to Alabama, so he probably would have gone back eventually.

Curry perhaps got treated badly, but that was almost 20 years ago. When he got that job, Bryant had been dead for less than four years. Not only that, but Curry was a coach from former hated rival Georgia Tech and he had a losing career record. I think he proved in the Kentucky years that he was a horse-shit coach.

The problem is that every time a national writer does a long piece on Alabama football, he interviews Curry because he's the most accessible, and not Perkins or Stallings. Surely that's an unbiased perspective.

And one more thing ... Neyland's "perfect record" against Bryant came when the Bear was at Kentucky. Give me a break ...

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Nope, not even in the SEC. I'm 99 percent sure there was a firejackiesherrill.com Web site, but I wouldn't say it was the first. It was pretty small, I believe.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

Most Tide fans aren't in touch with reality. They started talking national championship as soon as he was hired. On some of the talk radio shows here, they had a pre-season call in prediction day. Several callers predicted Bama to make the BCS title game. The worst record I heard from any caller was 9-3. Saban may well get Alabama back to the top of the SEC, but it will take a while. The roster is not stocked. They may win 8 or 9 games this year, but there talent level is below Florida, LSU, Georgia and probably South Carolina and Tennessee. They might be ahead of Auburn.

12. boots

boots New Member

Fan is short for fanatic and its hard to find more die-hard fans, assholes, whatever you want to call them, than in the SEC.

Draft saved Draft deleted