1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, if Joe Pa can't control himself, how can he control his players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Holy Mother of Fanboy,

Who the hell cares what I think? Does the right answer get me Jim Rome's job and salary? Look, would i love to have someone at my school like Paterno? Absolutely, but to paint this man as something more than what he is, which is a football coach, is insane. The same goes with Bowden and most certainly Tom Osborne. People think that because Osborne wore his religion on his sleeve it made him above other coaches morally. It's a load a fucking crap, especially when you have people like Lawrence Phillips and Christian Peter on your roster.

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Oh, fuck, I'm off to bed.

I'm just saying: Why rip Paterno now, and for this?

He's the Lion in Winter. Let him go peacefully.

Why stir up so much shit over a fucking traffic thing? Happens to us all.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

For as long as I've been in this business, I never have met a bigger phony than JoePa, and I expect I never will.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wasn;t that in 2002?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Seriously, he's made the transition from beloved coach to college football icon and is now sliding down the other side of the mountain as stubborn, crusty, old goofball... If you hang on too long, it's going to be fine for you but hurt the program in the long run. For Joe, that was at least five years ago. He needs to retire gracefully soon, but won't do it because he';s hanging on not for the sake of Penn State but to one-up Bobby Bowden.

6. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

At his age that's a pretty common problem. You know how irregular those old folks can get.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nicely done, Bill.

Dan, I am fairly certain that BitterYoungMatador was making a joke when he brought up the Pitt hating Penn State thing. Yes, he is a Pitt fan, but nobody on here makes fun of that program as much as he does.

You're a big Penn State fan and a big Paterno fan. We get it. But can't you see why people have a problem with him? You made a point about other coaches who are too quick to get nasty with a reporter, but Paterno is as bad as any coach in that regard. Yes, people wonder if Paterno is too old. But they also have legitimate issues with him that go beyond his age.

That's not to say he hasn't done some great things, but you really have let your inner fanboy run wild on here. I should know. I've done it a time or two. :)

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

"turning boys into men"

Hysterical.

9. Reading this all I can say is ...

:eek:

And, is Dan Rydell Jay Paterno?

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Dan, to me, there's no difference between what you're doing and the folks on the political thread (on both sides) who rightly get lambasted for refusing to acknowledge another point of view.

I was born and raised in Pa. as a Penn State fan. 32 years running.

What Paterno does and how he conducts himself is fair game as (presumably) the most-well paid public servant in the Commonwealth.

Do you feel this criticism is somehow redirected at you too?

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Have watched Penn State football back to the days of "TV Quarterbacks."

And I have all the respect in the world for what Joe Paterno has done.

But any talk of him having the "right" to coach that team until he's 90, or 100, or 110, or whatever, doesn't fly with me.

There are a lot of people putting out good money for Penn State football weekends, and if the program is not getting good direction -- on and off the field, but particularly on -- then he's fair game.

His stubbornness (re: Anthony Morelli) is well-documented, and more and more, it seems as if he makes decisions purely out of that stubbornness, to be able to thumb his nose at his detractors.

P.S. Using Larry Johnson as an example against Paterno is not too valid. L.J. was the original "angry young man." He would have bitched about anyone or anything.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head shot. As a lifelong Penn State fan I love what Paterno has done for the program and that he's kept it clean (at least publically) throughout all his time there. The success his teams have acheived on the field and how they went about doing it is something PSU fans can be proud of.

But like others who have posted here JoePa is far from a saint. He's short with the media, too protective of his players (like not letting them talk to the press after tough losses) and stubborn in his ways (seeing that JayPa is a horrible QB coach or that Morelli is not nearly as good as we all had hoped).

I for one think he should be able to go when he feels its time, but I say that as long as it's over the next few years not when he's 90 or 95. That would be riduculous, but I'm hopeful that he already knows that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.