1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome to the @#$1@!4 newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Sep 12, 2007.

1. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

It has more to do with hating the barely operable macintosh on my desk and the fact that my company is too cheap to give us a decent word processing programming...and force us to use simpletext

the pagination computer doesn't even have spell check for christ sakes...and in most spots i have to save before opening the web browser b/c it crashes my computer

hence a strong line of profanity

2. enigami

enigami Member

Because when I enjoy what I'm doing, I find that I don't curse as often as I do when I don't enjoy what I'm doing.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't find any correlation to those two factors. I love what I do. But when I lose my work because of craptastic technology, I'm going to say a few choice words. Has no bearing on my satisfaction with my job.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you're a fucking rookie, aren't you?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Besides, I like the word "fuck." It's so versatile.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

A newsroom is a workplace, is it not? That makes it unprofessional to curse in a newsroom. Technically, if a ME or an EE wanted to, he or she could impose a rule that made profanity a violation. If I wanted to put a complete kibosh on profanity, I could do so.

Then again, the reality is that 99 percent of newsroom staffs curse like sailors.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I never really thought about it, but fuck yeah I curse in the newsroom. All the fucking time. We all do in sports. I guess that's why they stick us fuckers in the back corner. I don't think my profane ass could survive in a regular goddamn office environment.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what if you only could use one the rest of your life? A.) fuck you; B.) fuck off.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

True. Of course, every person in management positions in editorial cusses at my newspaper, so I have never thought anything different.
    At my present paper you can even cuss during the day and you don't get in trouble.
    If shit goes wrong, then I don't see the big deal in letting out a string of swear words, like I said earlier, it is better than breaking stuff or even bottling it all up only to blow up later. You have to release somehow. Some people take a walk around the building and some drop a "motherfuckingpieceoffuckingshitcocksuckingdouchebagfuckingserver." I don't really see the difference.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This may out me to some here, but I had this coworker once who was on a kick to clean up her language, and when something went wrong on deadline she'd yell, "VERY BAD WORDS!" in the middle of the newsroom. Still cracks me up thinking about it.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

like that's the first time you've ever said that around these parts ...

12. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

In "The Last Commissioner," Fay Vincent told a story about Bart Giamatti. Someone asked him why he, an educated man of letters, would use four-letter words.
    Giamatti said that as an academic, he is always searching for the right word. And sometimes, the right word is "shit."
    That about sums it up as far as I'm concerned. There are just some situations (like, oh, just for argument's sake, when the mailroom doesn't insert 2,000 copies of the fall sports tab in that day's paper) where you need to call someone a rat bastard cocksucker.

Draft saved Draft deleted