1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome to the @#$1@!4 newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Sep 12, 2007.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I manage the features department at my paper.

I use "fuck" at least once every 20 minutes.

Like I said, I've cut back.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

We just had a thread on this not too long ago if my memory serves correctly.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Oh fuck off will you :D

4. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Sorry for the d_b. I did a quick search for it but couldn't find it.

Oh, and fuck off.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I found it. Having started it, I may or may not have known the title of the thread.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/42409/

6. DKIA

DKIA Member

It's even worse when the newsroom is connected to the same building where the paper's published. One night somebody in the sports department made a comment along the lines of "nobody would even read this crap if they knew what douchebags were putting it out," referring to ourselves, while a female from the mailroom just happened to be nearby and overhear it. Naturally, she assumed we were talking about them and there was some serious ass-chewing by the ME the following day.

What's this business come to when you can't even call yourself a douchebag without being written up? Fucking mailroom sluts.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What about cursing at co-workers in the heat of the moment? Is that tolerated where you work?

8. sportpro

sportpro New Member

Using the f-word is a VERY last option. I usually get up from my desk, walk down the hall and go outside for a while. Come back in and finish the job. ... Cursing doesn't help matters for me.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And that's why you're the pro. 8)

Several months ago my computer crashed on a Saturday afternoon when the place was virtually empty, and eliminated considerable work I'd done on about three pages. Completely gone, back to blank templates.

A string of expletives followed, then I rebuilt them. The next day the new publisher, who apparently was in his office in another part of building, unbeknownst to me, took me aside and professionally let me know that type of behavior, while understandable, wasn't tolerated.

He was cool about it, didn't hold a grudge or anything, so now I try to keep my cuss words to a bare minimum and under my breath. And I only keep one page open at a time.

Times change. Several former puiblishers would have walked over with a bottle of Jack and poured me a shot after finding out what had happened to set me off.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

All three offices of which I've been a part have allowed swearing. It's common practice.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I worked with a salty old fuck on the copy desk who dropped an F-bomb as a customers and her young child were up front paying for a classified ad.
    He went to the editor and apologized profusely, to which the editor said "If you enter a tittie bar, you expect to see tits."

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Fuck yeah, it is, asshole.

Draft saved Draft deleted