1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome To Extortion, Texas.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Mar 11, 2009.

1. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Or traveler's checks. Or, I don't know, a bank account with an ATM card? Just saying.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm looking through the Texas penal codes, though, and don't see where carrying cash is illegal.

3. Or how about just, fuck it, it's my money and I don't need permission from Mayor Gomer and Sheriff Goober to carry it in pennies if I want to.

4. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I agree Fenian, but $6k is going to make honest Cooter damned suspsicious. It's going to make dishonest Cooter salivate.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not holding my breath on that -- or for a conviction

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No idea. But I do know where the 5th amendment states "No person shall be deprived of ...property without due process of law". People never charged and tried have had no due process. How this law has passed constitutional scrutiny, at least with regard to the unconvicted, is beyond me.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How does a policeman even know how much money I am carrying? Unless, honest and dishonest Cooter were searching the black people just because.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

by marriage.... no shared blood! I've only met the guy once. Complete tool. Can't stand him.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Says it all:

But in Tenaha, a town of chicken farms that hugs the Louisiana border, critics say being a black out-of-towner passing through with anything of value is seen as evidence of a crime.

Tenaha Mayor George Bowers, 80, defended the seizures, saying they allowed a cash-poor city the means to add a second police car in a two-policeman town and help pay for a new police station.

“It’s always helpful to have any kind of income to expand your police force,” Bowers said.

Local police, he said, must take aggressive action to stem the narcotics trade that flows through town via U.S. 59 — drugs heading north, cash going south.

“No doubt about it. (U.S. 59) is a thoroughfare that a lot of no-good people travel on. They take the drugs and sell it and take the money and go right back into Mexico,” said Bowers, who’s been Tenaha’s mayor 54 years.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll say this about 59 from Houston to Texarkana -- it's a nice stretch of non-highway. Divided four lanes almost all the way.

Not sure about the drug flow, though.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Cowshitistan is in the house!

Lunatic motel proprietor in West Texas freaks out on guests in racially-themed tirade. This was last summer.

http://www.texascivilrightsproject.org/?p=626

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

DWB = Driving While Black.

Draft saved Draft deleted