1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcome to business school...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Aug 26, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

BTW, I would have a big problem with this campus-wide.

But for biz. classes, no harm at all.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

end of thread.

And this comes from a guy who wore a hat every single day of freshman year, wore a hat far more often than not thereafter and wore shorts until Halloween during my final two years of college. That's why I'm a writer: Being frumpy is not only allowed but encouraged!!!

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think BYH should have to wear only castoff wardrobe shirts from Steve Sanders and A.C. Slater.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think this is a great idea. Business casual clothes - the khakis, polo, shoes - will likely cost less than your average fare at Abercrombie. Cost is not a valid excuse here.

When I returned to grad school after time in the "real world" I showed up wearing work clothes. I felt like it was a respect thing: respect the environment, respect the professors, respect myself enough to not wear pajamas to grad school. That lasted about a week, because I felt really overdressed.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You can get a week's worth of clothes at Old Navy for 100 bucks. I don't think they're asking these kids to go Brooks Brothers.
    Someone shows up in one of my classes in pj's, they're getting told to go back to bed.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Illinois State University's marketing department just got itself an AP story telling parents all over the Midwest a little about the culture they're trying to instill... for free.

That's good marketing.

7. joe

joe Active Member

The big question is, how are they going to enforce it? Kick you out of class? Drop you a letter grade? Make you handle snakes?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

You teach? Heaven help us all!!!

Let me know where you're teaching so I can show up in my jammies.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Slumber party in Moddy's class! Who's bringing the s'mores?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I did it, Moddy. Girl was just frazzled, up all night, she said, finishing a paper for another class. I told her to go back to the dorm and go to bed and come to office hours later in the week. She was a good student, and I was always of the mind that while my lectures were important within the context of the class, they certainly weren't as important as a healthy amount of sleep for an 18 or 19-year-old.

She looked at me like I was crazy, but she took me up on it.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I bet she did.
    Office hours. Is that what you kids are calling it these days?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You would not believe what some kids wore to office hours.

My office mate and I were simply baffled at times. Not sloppy baffled. Revealing baffled.

Draft saved Draft deleted