1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird, weird stuff. ... a lot of major computer problems going on at once.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 8, 2015.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is weird stuff going on right now. ... Maybe it is all coincidence, but it doesn't completely feel like it.

First, this morning United grounded all of its flights due to a computer problem.

This morning, a popular website among traders, "Zero Hedge" was down. Not a big deal in and of itself.

A little less than an hour ago, the New York Stock Exchange shut down trading due to a computer glitch. It is ongoing. It dried up liquidity and markets have mostly grinded to a halt. There is little info about what is going on.

While that was going on, the Wall Street Journal's website went down.

Weird, weird stuff.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Two theories ... Given China's stock market collapse, the government ordered hackers to attack American websites or Skynet just became self-aware and isn't happy about the new Terminator movie.

Ace, Batman, Vombatus and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If there was anything coordinated going on, they would have hit this site first.

Ace likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

You know what Inky? That was one of the first things that crossed my mind. The Chinese government has been panicking in response to the market sell off over there. And doing just about everything wrong. The tin foil hat in me did wonder if this is a lame attempt to deflect attention from the problems on their exchange so they can turn it into a "worldwide" problem.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't know. Maybe the Chrome browser (and it's inexplicable delays in loading up pages) has just stepped up its game?

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Tin foil hat? Ragu, you disappoint me. I thought for sure you would wear a gold foil hat. You're worth it! Spend the extra money and upgrade your hat! Maybe make it a fez. A gold foil fez.

Meanwhile, I am stuck with cheapass aluminum foil.

Next sj outing, everyone wears a fez. You can get them online. Products | Fez-o-rama | Fine Embroidered Velvet Fezzes

7. The Big Ragu

The WSJ site is back up. And an exchange spokesman said the outage is not due to a cyberattack.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A lot? Small sample size.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This is all just a false-flag event to make Lois Lerner's hard drive crashing and Hillary's emails all disappearing to seem more credible.

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted