1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird crawl on NFL network -- some cable providers not carrying live games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Hoping this isn't a D_B.

Was clicking through channels and came across NFL Replay, when I noticed the crawl (partially cut off) up top.

It said something like this:

You're watching NFL Network. Your cable provider has decided not to air live games. That means unless you live in your team's local market, you will not get 8 games. Contact your cable company yadda, yadda, yadda.

I just checked NFL.com and couldn't find anything, but I did find an article from the Sports Business Journal that gives some details.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.feature&featureId=1974

Apparently, if the cable company doesn't pay the surcharge, it doesn't get the live games. Once again, fans are held hostage.

So if you're a KC or Denver fan, you may want to make sure your cable company has paid the ransom proper surcharge so you can watch the game.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Comcast has NFL Network on its digitial tier, but Cablevision and Time Warner are not carrying NFL Network and likely won't by Thursday's game. It's on basic service on Dish and DirecTV.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Cablevision vs. The NFL. Talk about having no one to root for.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That I understand. If a cable provider isn't paying a surcharge, then it shouldn't get the network.

What I don't understand is why only allow a partial payment. Either you get all the programming or none of it. Doesn't seem like a smart move by the NFL.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fans held hostage by the NFL...shocking, I tell you, shocking.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And I can certainly see the NFL saying, "We'll be happy to give you much of the NFL Network for free. You can charge for it and it won't cost a dime - for our basic cservice... But if you want the package to carry the games, it will cost you."

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Cable One doesn't offer the NFL Network (or versus/OLN). If I was allowed to have a dish at my complex, I so would.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

They can NOT keep you from having a dish. It's the law, and it doesn't matter if it's in the lease or not. They can tell you where it can go, however.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, OTD, unless you live in the same state as chickie, you might not know what the law is. It varies considerably from state to state.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh, I can have one, but I can't attach to the building and given where my apartment is located, that means I can't have one. And yes, that's perfectly legal.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It's a federal law. Chickie is a resident of the good ol' U S of A. However, if she can't see south from her apartment, she's out of luck.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Got NFL Network on Comcast here, thankfully. Steelers-Browns will be a Thursday night game coming up soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted