1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weekly petty SI complaint

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 31, 2012.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just finished this week's issue (Brady cover) and again it's pretty good, except for this irritating mistake, the kind of error of fact that never used to happen but now happens once, twice or three times in every issue ( can overlook an occasional typo):

"Last month Chipman was at a rink in Milestone, Saskatchewan (pop. 562), a good eight-hour drive to the east of Winnipeg."

Uh, I know many in this country are totally ignorant of Canadian geography, but Saskatchewan is west of Manitoba and Winnipeg. It's a nice story on the Jets but these types of mistakes shouldn't happen.

And yes, I was perfect during my newspaper career.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well ... it's kinda dependent on whether you're turned toward the U.S. or toward Nunavut, isn't it?

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

It should be easy enough to find, considering its only 15 minutes from Tahoe ... :)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, you say nothing about Gronkowksi in the headline on the Pats story?

5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I love that Belichick refuses to talk to Peter King.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As usual, a weekly dose of Petty bullshit...

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It also asks how the Pats might defend the Buffalo package, a few lines after referencing BB's Bills Super Bowl game plan. I went back to see if maybe the Giants have a package they call "Buffalo" but I didn't see anything.

Also in the Kraft story, it says, "the tony Boston suburb of Brookline" rather than tiny.

Petty.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they do mean "tony." Look it up. It means trendy or stylish. Brookline isn't particularly tiny with a population of almost 60,000.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

As long as we're picking SI apart...

I've just skimmed this issue, but I did notice a mention of Antonio Piece in the look back at the previous Pats-Giants SB.

Yes, I know we've all made typos...

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's his bar name.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I generally don't ready SI stories on the NFL or NBA. But if there was a mistake it furthers the point, no?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In the Kraft story it talks about Parcells leaving the team after the 1996 season.

"But something else good came out of that season, beyond the team's first Super Bowl appearance: Kraft got to know Belichick."

The team's first Super Bowl appearance? I know they'd like to forget 46-3 happened 11 years before, but . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted