1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 8 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I love my pulled pork. I've just never understood why otherwise sensible people would plop an ice cream scoop of cole slaw on it.

maumann and ChrisLong like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Because it's delicious.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There will be plenty of interesting college football to watch this week, but absolutely none to bet on.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Huggy and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

No accounting for taste. I don't like cole slaw when it *isn't* polluting perfectly good BBQ.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When I covered Liberty in the aughts, their coach, Danny Rocco, tried to make a huge deal out of the Coastal rivalry because they needed something to grasp on. Funny that may be a really interesting FBS game later this year.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I hung out on SJ and I'm not sure this is 100% germane, but this whole "Eyes of Texas" thing is some first-rate bat-shit craziness. I mean, going to the mat to defend a song with origins in blackface minstrelsy is the kind of nuttery I would expect from A&M.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I hate betting against LSU, but South Carolina +6 is mighty tempting. LSU's quarterback Myles Brennan is hurt, probably won't play, and Joe Burrow ain't walking through that door. All they have behind Brennan are a couple of freshmen who have never taken a college snap.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

What the UT president isn't saying in that statement is that part of their problem is that some band members are refusing to play the song. It looks like they'll be playing a recording at home games.

"The survey was sent to band members asking if they would be willing to play “The Eyes of Texas,” a song that has divided the university community in recent months over its ties to minstrel shows where performers wore blackface. The Daily Texan reported that a message sent to band members by leader Scott Hanna said the survey results wouldn’t affect whether the band performs at future games. The band has yet to play at a football game this season, due to safety restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Band members are “evenly divided” over playing the song, the student newspaper reported, but responses from certain instrument sections would prevent the band from playing this week. The message from Hanna said many band members wanted to have further discussions about the song, which he said he would facilitate."

University of Texas Longhorn band won't play "The Eyes of Texas" this weekend after some members say they're unwilling

Draft saved Draft deleted