1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 5 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Spot on. Plus now, they've lost a lot on the offensive line (Clabo, McClure), where their quarterback is getting much more pressure and the running game is stifled.

Essentially, I think the Falcons have mortgaged all their investment on the bright, shiny skill positions and sacrificed both the offensive and defensive lines. ANd no matter how good your wide receivers are, they can't do their magic if the quarterback is lying on his back or running for his life, and your super glue cornerbacks can only cover the opponents pass catchers for so long before eventually they get open.

Falcons have some basic foundational issues that are being exposed once you look beyond the glitzy toys.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Offense was based on WRs getting open once running game got going. Injury to Jackson killed that plan. A lot easier to drop eight back in coverage if you're not worried about 9-12 yard runs.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Atlanta's supported the Falcons pretty heartily for a number of years now.

The dark days were the middle 90s, pre-Dan Reeves where you could walk up on Sunday and have your choice of tickets. Even with the Super Bowl in 98, there was spotty support after that.

Then came Vick and Arthur Blank, who made the shrewd move to offer upper deck seats for $10 per, and the stadium filled up. And has really stayed that way even through the dog days of Doug Johnson, Kurt Kittner and Harrington.

The interesting thing with Atlanta being such a transient city is the number of opposing teams fans you'll see at a game. Cowboys and Steelers games, you almost may not be able to tell who the home team is sometimes.

Went home earlier this year to St Louis and the Rams game was blacked out. I can't remember the last time that's happened in Atlanta.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Julio Jones will be out for season with foot injury.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'll never forget the last game of the 1989 season. The Falcons were horrible (they lost to Detroit -- their seventh consecutive loss -- to finish 3-13) and two players had died in car wrecks during the season (a year after David Croudip died of a cocaine overdose). They were the most depressing team imaginable. And it was something like 20 degrees that day.

It looked like there were maybe 50 people in the stadium.

I just looked at up and the attendance was listed as 7,792, but at least 5,000 of them came dressed as empty seats.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I did not realize that there were teams being blacked out. The Jets would be every week but I think Woody buys up the unsold seats.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Two months later and I have somehow managed to pull myself out of the pool of blood and vodka that I have been in to report that I am going to survive.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Great to hear from you and glad you're OK! Now we can pull those pictures off the milk cartons and cancel the Amber Alert. Where've you been?

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Lying in a pool of blood and vodka at Reliant Stadium.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

At least you got your wish.... Gary Kubiak got fired.

Draft saved Draft deleted