1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 5 NFL thread: Whatever happened to Deiter Brock?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As far as Barkley goes, read that really good Lee Jenkins profile of him earlier this year. He seems like he's a lot more like Andrew Luck than Sanchez and Leinart. Those guys certainly didn't spend their offseason in Port-au-Prince building houses for the destitute. if he can play, he has the humility and character to not think he's above certain stuff. He's like a techie nerd from what I've read and enjoys taking shit apart (like his Macbook) to see if he can put it back together. It's no guarantee obviously but that, to me, suggests a curiosity and intellect that neither Sanchez or Leinart appear to have.

I also don't think he's a system QB the way they're now accused of being. Leinart's failures should have been easy to spot. He never threw the ball with much zip and he's basically a statue. Sanchez can at least make plays if you roll him out a little, but he's awful in the pocket, especially taking 7-step drops. I think if you look at Barkley's games, he's making most of his throws from the pocket. His drop in accuracy (almost 10 pts so far) worries me a little, but he still a guy who looks comfortable making all the throws when you give him moderate protection.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Wilbon said on PTI today that Cutler was the "smartest offensive-minded guy" on the team, and he was right to be pissed at whatever play call he was angry about...said that he understands the "sour looks" on Cutler's face are off-putting, but that Cutler's generally right when he gets upset. You would've enjoyed the segment, YG.

3. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

The media blowing things out of proportion for the sake of creating a story? Never!

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They like creating a story. They *love* perpetuating a story they've already created.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Never was big on Sanchez as anything more than an average journeyman. But is Tebow any better?

Truthfully, I don't think it matters who play in terms of wins and losses for the Jets.

But, understand this: if you make the move to Tebow now and he does have success, there is no going back. You will be stuck with him for the balance of the season and perhaps beyond.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not to start this whole firefight again, but given your hypothetical -- if Tebow plays and he has success -- what's wrong with being "stuck" with him? Is there a problem with having to play a successful quarterback?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

A certain amount of truth to that. Although in Barkley's case, it's been long enough and a different coaching staff is in place at USC that might separate him from the group.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought pass defense was an issue for the Giants so far. That secondary is not impressive unless they are getting overwhelming pressure on the quarterback.

The Steelers? I have yet to see any reason to say that defense presents a tough matchup. They looked good for three quarters against the Jets. That's about it.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Andrew Bynum's rep four years ago was that he was a homebody nerd who liked to build computers. very intelligent, both feet on the ground. There was a story in ESPN the magazine about it.

NFL draft legend about Leinart said he had very cerebral answers to questions regarding strategies and reading of defenses. His supposedly loving college relationship with Brynn Cameron fooled a few media members, both local and national. Paid for a billboard off the 710 freeway thanking L.A. fans when his career at USC ended. Seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders.

Sanchez? is his lack of improvement due to personal work ethic, coaching, or both? Another who seemed to have a lot of things together, ever since Mission Viejo high school. Never heard a peep from him about sitting behind John David "I telegraph every important pass" Booty.

Won't truly know about Barkley until a couple years from now. Which is of course why the NFL draft is so consistently compelling.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

We know. Steelers suck, blah, blah, blah. I have faith that LeBeau, given anything close to a defense at full strength, will figure out a way to confuse a rookie QB, even a really good one.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No. Not if you're prepared to go to war with him week in, week out. Although if that's the case, you should have figured out in training camp who your man was.

I've never been a fan of a two-quarterback platoon. Never once seen it work in the long haul.

The deal is Rex Ryan came out before the season and stated that Sanchez was his No. 1 quarterback... period. Tebow would be used in certain circumstances and in the event of injury. Are you going to completely reverse yourself a month later, based on a 2-2 record?

After three years as his head coach, you should have a pretty good idea of what Sanchez is capable of. He's not Tom Brady or Peyton Manning and never will be. If you want to aim higher than that, fine. But all this coach's doubletalk tires me. Truth be told, I think the Jets have overachieved to be 2-2. I had figured them to be 0-4 about now. How much of that falls on Sanchez is debateable.

But what I'm saying is if you bench Sanchez for Tebow long-term, might as well trade him, cause he's finished in New York. Just like Kyle Orton was in Denver.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I get your point, Norrin, and I agree with a lot of it (nobody really knows dick about character, and big profiles are almost always flattering; I've written a few myself) but I wouldn't Sanchez was an angel at USC. There was that whole sexual assault allegation his freshman year.

http://deadspin.com/5739780/why-no-one-remembers-the-mark-sanchez-rape-case

Draft saved Draft deleted