1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 5 NFL thread: Whatever happened to Deiter Brock?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

After Leinart and Sanchez, is that going to scare people off Barkley, at least a little? Carson Palmer is the only USC QB in recent memory to have any long-term success.

2. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

An interesting question to ponder. Makes you think their success in college was system-based or because of the players around them, not the QB's themselves.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I was waiting for someone to say that. Given how NFL teams slobber over every possibly talented first-round QB, I don't think Barkley has anything to worry about as long as he plays well the next couple months. I can remember when Michigan quarterbacks were mocked for not living up to the hype in the NFL. That changed. I would hope that scouts and GMs have more tools at their disposal for evaluating a QB than to have to fall back on the "Well, previous guys from this school flamed out" analysis. I mean, it used to be that no one from Vanderbilt ever hit it big as an NFL QB. Jay Cutler obliterated that notion.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Shit's about to get real, though. Falcons, Giants, Steelers in the next month. Then, later, the Eagles twice, the Cowboys twice, the Giants again, and the Ravens. Oy.

5. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Yeah, the teams he's played so far include the Saints (0-4), Rams (2-2), Bengals (3-1, Heck yeah!) and Tampa Bay (1-3). Not exactly a Murderer's Row right there (my Bengals notwithstanding, just kidding). We'll definitely get a better idea about him in the next few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He'll light it up against the Falcons on Sunday I think. Unfortunately, the Redskins' defense is going to get torched. It'll be interesting to see how he fares against the Giants, given Shanahan's unexplainable success against them recently. The Steelers, yeah, that'll be a tough one for the kid. Same with the Ravens. I wouldn't worry about the Cowboys. By the time they meet them the first time — Thanksgiving — Dallas will be in full What the Fuck Happened to Our Season mode.

7. And Palmer is hardly someone you hang your hat on.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

He would have been if not for motherfucking Kimo von Oelhoffen.

9. turski7

turski7 Member

Not to mention he's mentally weak. He can't handle any controversy and reinforces that notion on gamedays. They'll bring in Tebow, watch him build a rapport with the ground and start planning for the draft by Week 10. No. 1 on the list, a QB.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Stupid media!

11. turski7

turski7 Member

It's never Cutler's fault, always someone else.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The guy played one of the best games of his life on national television against "America's (Dysfunctional) Team" and the focus is on an incident — which may or may not be an incident — on the sideline.

Cutler deserved all the heat he took after the Packers game. But this was just lazy narrative chasing.

Draft saved Draft deleted