1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 4 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Platyrhynchos, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Another vote for starting these polls in at least October? If so, I agree. Preseason polls are worthless.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Between OU, Florida, USC and LSU, at this point of the season it does not seem fair to limit only two teams for a crack at the championship.

I have always felt a four-team playoff was the best solution for college football, and this season I really think we are going to see three undefeated teams.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

West Virginia is unbeaten as well.

4. 93Devil

True, but I do not think they will be in December.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

LSU and Florida can't both finish unbeaten either. Hell, one of them may lose twice.

6. 93Devil

Good point.

But what if they split their two games?

I think a four-team playoff would help ensure if the two best teams are in one conference, they could be in the hunt for the title.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So what if they do split their two games? Isn't thedreaded possibility of a rematch what kept Michigan and Ohio State from meeting in the BCS title game last year? Why should that be any different?

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

If Fla and LSU split (and run the table in their other games), the winner of the SEC title game plays somebody else for the national title.

And that's the way it should be, IMO. They'll have played on a neutral site for a championship already. No reason to have them play again. That's as much a playoff game as you'll get in college football.

9. 93Devil

True, but if OU and USC go undefeated, I think the SEC teams will be out of the final game.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Unless USC and Oklahoma are both unbeaten, which they should be. In which case one SEC school goes to a BCS game and the other goes to Orlando.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Oklahoma's going to be an interesting test case this year. The Sooners have looked kick-ass so far, but could very well finish the year playing a grand total of ONE top-25 team (considering only where teams are ranked at the end of the year).

I wonder if the BCS rankings might vault a one-loss LSU or Florida past them. Either way, somebody's going to have a pretty good gripe. And that doesn't even take into account a possible undefeated Big East champ.

12. 93Devil

This season could be a perfect storm for a playoff arguement.

I honestly hope it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted