1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 17, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't disagree more regarding the NFL playoffs. I think they're perfect. The teams that get byes have a significant but not insurmountable advantage; I think it's about 75 percent of the home/bye teams win that second week. If you want to see meaningless games down the stretch, take away those byes and just see how much teams care whether they are the second or third seed.

Also like the week off before the Super Bowl. Every year there are at least a few players who probably wouldn't have been able to play (or at least would have been severely limited) without the extra week.

And I have never played in a fantasy league that ends in Week 15. They all end Week 16.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Most good fantasy leagues run through week 16, I thought.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

it just ain't natural. February is basketball and pitchers and catchers report, not football.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I was wrong... 15th game in Week 16... My bad...

5. LongTimeListener

I thought it was because your teams always suck so much that you forgot the playoffs exist :)

6. Mizzougrad96

I won two of the last three years. :D

This year, my team blows. :D

7. LongTimeListener

Tell me about it. My top four running backs combined for seven fumbles in Week 1.

But I digress. Nobody cares.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

When I become czar of the world, the hockey season will be required to finish before Mother's Day, pro basketball before Memorial Day and all football playoffs and bowls within one week of New Year's Day.

9. Mizzougrad96

I remember when it was a big deal when they pushed the Fiesta Bowl back a day for Miami-Penn State.

The good old days... :D

10. Morris816

Morris816 Member

What, no order for baseball to not extend the season past October?

At the rate they have been expanding the postseason, I'm waiting for the day a Game 7 of the World Series is played on Thanksgiving.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't have a real problem with the length of the football playoffs, but extending the season further into February is a weather risk. There were two feet of snow in New England five days after this year's Super Bowl. It could (probably won't), snow like that ON the Super Bowl next February. I think it's significant the NFL is charging MUCH more for the tickets that give you access to indoor heated facilities of MetLife Stadium.

12. Mizzougrad96

I hope it dumps snow on the Super Bowl. I love cold-weather games. It's football the way it was meant to be played... :D

Draft saved Draft deleted