1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

[​IMG]

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What I have been saying for years now is that Tech gets a high AP ranking to start the season, and then they whip up on UAB and UConn, play a couple of semi-tough ACC road games and never really prove anything. Every time they are faced with a tough game, they fold like wet paper.

I am going to go look up all Va Tech quality road or neutral field wins in recent history. I could very well prove myself wrong, but I'm thinking no.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We don't need to worry about our youngling. Chuck has far better taste than to party with you know who.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

VT is in its fourth year in the ACC and still waiting to play at both places.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, since 2000, Tech is 2-3 in Bowl games with wins over Clemson and Air Force.

2006, they beat Miami and Wake on the road
    2005 won at WVU (unranked) and at Maryland
    2004 won at Georgia Tech and #9 Miami
    2003 only road wins were at Rutgers and Temple
    2002 won at #19 A&M and at BC
    2001 won at unranked WVU

So other than Miami and A&M, Tech really has not won that many tough road games against ranked teams.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Arkansas at Alabama 'cause if Arkansas loses that entire state will have a collective meltdown. If Alabama loses, it won't be quite as bad since the Auburn fans will cackle, but it will still be pretty bad.
    The Piggies could just as easy go 7-5 as 11-1.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

After the first post, there were no more mentions of Tennessee-Florida on this thread.

Interesting.

Both Ainge and Tebow have stupid good numbers. Should be a fun one. Plus, who knows which fans will throw a cup of urine on a coach's wife this year?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I brought it up at the end of the week 2 thread. Should be fun, but the Vols probably get squashed. Florida's offense is at least as good as Cal's.

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

The only worry with the UF-UT game is that it's the first time Tebow will start a big time game. Other than that, Florida is the favorite in my mind.

Tennessee may have some talent, but they aren't anything spectacular. I know some have picked them to win the SEC East, but I don't see it.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Eventually, you learn to disregard the "favorite" to win this game. I think the Gators win, but I'm not positive, though, because they're pretty dinged up in some big spots, and Tennessee's offense is pretty good.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Glad someone mentioned the UL-UL game before me. Could be the most entertaining game of the day.

Both defnses are less than stellar to say the least. UK may without its starting two defensive tackles, so let the offensive showdown begin!!!

I'm guessing a game at least in the mid 30s for both teams...by half. Kidding, but if both teams get in the 40s it wouldn't surprise me.

Michigan is just to awful to talk about right now. I have some friends on suicide watch.

Also, Florida-Tennessee will be less than advertised. I don't see this as being a "must watch" game. Same with Southern Cal-Nebraska. Don't think wither will be that close.

For some reason, I'd rather watch Bama and Arkansas.

12. Yeah, if the Hogs lose, we're likely to see a frenzy of electronic surveillance.

Draft saved Draft deleted