1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 16 NFL thread: The Jason Garrett/Jim Schwartz Death Watch begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Morris816

Morris816 Member

What really seems to be the issue is the use of the term "defenseless player." The rule should simply state that using the helmet to hit an opposing player's head or neck is not allowed, regardless of the situation.

In other words, if a defender is hurrying across the field to tackle a receiver and another receiver comes into the play to block him, the receiver can't ram his helmet into the head or neck of the defender. There's no need to portray the defender as a "defenseless player." And the same with any other situation involving blocking or tackling.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

London Fletcher is retiring. Always liked him - mostly because he's from John Carroll. But still, was always a very good ILB. He also hasn't missed a game in 16 years, which seems like a fairly impressive feat.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10158746/washington-redskins-lb-london-fletcher-likely-retire

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So … how quickly does Sean Payton react in Charlotte if this all doesn't work just like so?

One thing not to mess around. Another to borderline panic ...

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Awesome quote from Flacco about his knee situation:

"That's one of the first things you think about when you get hit there and you go down, you're like, 'Shoot, I'd better not be able to not be able to play,'" Flacco said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10159774/joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-practice-knee-brace

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just listened to a radio interview with Cole. Man, that guy sounds just like Jame Gumb.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Payton had to do something. Hartley had lost it and Charles Brown may as well have been at Busch Stadium for all the good he did trying to block the Rams' pass rush.

7. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I agree. I didn't see the amount of growth in Charlie Brown from the 2011 debacle to the 2013 debacle. He's been shaky all year, got lucky to face Dallas when Ware had a bad back, Niners when still adjusting to the return of Aldon Smith. Still was good for 1 sack and 1 penalty per game at minimum. Granted, he played very well against Carolina in the first meeting, but no way would I count on a repeat performance from him.
    May as well see what upside you have in Armstead now.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Not than anyone cares about my fantasy team, but I'm very worried about Drew Brees playing at Carolina.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, he did quite well in the first meeting, but he and that entire team look a lot different on the road.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Rats. No Rodgers against the Steelers.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Flynn and Co. should be enough to beat the Steelers in Lambeau.

And I'll be shocked if Rodgers isn't back for the finale in Chicago ... especially with a win this week.

They'll just give the team doctor a bunch of egg nog before he examines him. :)

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's the smat move, exmedia. If he injures it again, it's surgery and a possible effect on next season. And this is not a championship season they're cutting short.

Draft saved Draft deleted