1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 15 NFL thread: The Mike Shanahan Death Watch begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I see your Scott Mitchell and raise you Steve Walsh. Cost the Saints a first-, second- and third-round pick.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You might be right. I thought I read that they turned down a No. 2 for Cousins last year.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Solid reference!

I think it'd be awesome if Shanny threw the Sex Cannon out there.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't Walsh start Dallas' only win during the 1989 season? God, I'm old... :D

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And that win was against ....... the Redskins. :(

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Somewhere, Paul Palmer beams.

7. JackReacher

Who wrote that?

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes. Walsh went 9-9 as Saints starter, and Dallas used one of those picks to draft Erik Williams and another on Jimmy Smith (whom they cut after 2 years when he nearly died following an appendectomy, but who obviously went on to be a star with the Jaguars). The other they packaged to New England for the No. 1 overall pick they used on Russell Maryland.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

LTL, I know exactly what you're saying, but I have to laugh at those two examples. That's the only time Schaub is getting mentioned in the same breath as Favre. And I'm about as big of a Schaub guy as there is.

10. Morris816

Morris816 Member

A lot of what prompts teams to trade for a QB is whether or not they think he's the right fit for whatever offense the coaching staff likes to run. I suspect that's part of the reason why the Packers traded for Brett Favre when they did.

That's not to take away from Favre's talents, but often, a QB succeeds in the NFL because of a combination of the QB's talents and what the coaching staff does to make the QB a more polished player. The QBs who succeed simply on their talents alone... well, that's a short list.

Regarding Cousins, that all depends on whether or not a team thinks they have a system in which he would excel. I suspect it's more likely he would net a late-round pick if he at least looks decent the remainder of the season. Or the Redskins might not get anything for him if he looks terrible. Or most teams might figure it's better to look at the upcoming draft class to find a QB to develop, regardless of what Cousins does.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh, Shanny Shanny Shanny. Sonner, you didn't tell us about today's presser!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/11/mike-shanahan-talks-snyder-and-rg3-in-epic-press-conference/

On why the franchise quarterback is the only player he consults with Snyder about: “Dan could care less about the other positions.”

On Shanahan’s dealings today with the media, compared to the way he normally treats the press: “I’m trying to be as honest as I can, and I don’t normally do that.”

12. JackReacher

So you're saying other teams might give up a lot, a little, or nothing at all for Cousins?

You come up with that theory all by yourself?

Draft saved Draft deleted