1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 15 NFL thread: The Mike Shanahan Death Watch begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/410795776793923585

Shanahan might as well wipe cherry juice on Sammy Baugh's jersey and start dragging the Vince Lombardi trophy on a chain behind his car at this point ...

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I doubt they pull it off. BUT - the Falcons lost to a backup QB last week and we've seen that the Dallas D can make anyone look good.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You guys are insane if you think Shanahan would be a good fit anywhere but a retirement home. His teams aren't disciplined. And Shanahan is one of the worst head coaches I've ever seen in game management. Spends time outs like they are nothing, then left for shit at the end of games.

4. poindexter

The Skins paid two extra first round picks and a second, for a qb benched in his second year. That is some organization.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I went to one Redskin training camp practice, and I really hope it was a walk through.

It was amazing to see so little going on in a practice.

Gruden is the man for this franchise.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe for the money. But I don't know otherwise if Gruden would work for someone who is every bit the second coming of Al Davis, only with zero football knowledge.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The Redskins are playing Cousins hoping someone will make a trade offer. They don't have a first-round draft pick and desperately would like to get one. So they are offering coach Shanahan (maybe both Shanahans) and the QB of your choice (Griffin, Cousins, Grossman) for your first-round pick and a six-pack. (Didn't Buddy Ryan once say he'd trade a certain player for a six-pack?)

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You can always ignore him, Ryan.

9. poindexter

Starting Cousins to showcase him in a trade is the MOST logical reason for this change. Cousins has shown promise. The Skins are so bereft of talent, they can't afford to have a first round trade quality player sitting in a backup role.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wasn't there a release yesterday where Gruden said he was committed to ESPN through 2014. Loosely translated that means, "I want no part of Dan Snyder and Coughlin apparently isn't retiring."

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If they benched Griffin the 1st 3 games of his second year they would not be in the comic section of the paper on the last 3 weeks.

That is mostly on Griffin and Snyder. If Shanahan did anything more than acquiesce to ownership and his QB in starting Griffin at the beginning of the season, he should be fired, with cause. All in for Week 1 is a marketing campaign, not a football related decision.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Shanahan aside, I don't hate this move. Rest RG3 and showcase a backup who might net you a first or second round pick, which the Skins desperately need.

I'm sure the Rams are loving this. The Skins pick could be top 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted