1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 12 college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 16, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'd much rather see Cincinnati, BYU or Coastal Carolina get a shot than the Notre Dame-Clemson or Alabama-Florida loser.

At this point, however, anyone with 22 healthy players is guaranteed a bowl spot.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Add to the Week 13 thread. MW title likely a 3-way race between Nevada, Boise State and San Jose State.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You're saying a conference champion in a P5 conference is going to lose out to a team that didn't win all of its games and likely not its conference championship because the win wasn't big enough? Alabama didn't cover against Mississippi, so they're out against a one loss team right? Ohio State didn't cover twice, so they're out. Notre Dame hasn't covered three times, so they're out.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Starting as late as they did, as far back as they did, with the amount of games they were playing, yeah - I figured Oregon would have to make a decisive case that it was one of the best four teams in the country to just be in the conversation - I don't think that's possible now.

5. Spartan Squad

That's probably better said than they're out for not covering. I think the biggest challenge for Oregon is going to be Clemson-Notre Dame. If Clemson beats Notre Dame in the ACC Championship and Oregon runs the table, you need to ask if Oregon's undefeated championship is enough to exclude Notre Dame. Then the only other team to ask about would be Northwestern because in theory it's only loss would be to Ohio State in the Big 10 title game. But with the Big 12 out of contention, Oregon would have a better argument over Texas AM and Indiana who could have one loss but not have played in a conference championship game. And Florida will drop out after it loses to Alabama for its second loss.

Oregon needs to hope for Notre Dame to beat Clemson in the rematch and Northwestern to drop one before the Big 10 title game.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm wondering whether BYU, Marshall, Cincinnati, or Coastal Carolina will be the unbeaten G5 team(s) left on the outside looking in.

Case in point - Coastal Carolina wins to go 8-0, beating Appalachian State, winner of the last four conference championships, and loses a spot to a 6-2 Iowa St. because they beat a 4-3 K State team.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    I Should Coco likes this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Too late for fuckhead FATUS to award fucking Dabo the Medal of Freedom?

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Been wondering when St. Dabo of the Upstate world weigh in. He has, and he’s on brand.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I liked Dabo a lot better before he got all entitled.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This Is Gonna End Real Soon.
    “God is gonna make this go away as fast as He made it happen.” (Paraphrase)

How is that working out for you? Inconveniently, I’m sure.
    Continuous denial of this virus and disparagement of those who take it seriously are partly to blame for the current state of affairs.
    I don’t get angst. His team is going to make the ACC title game unless it loses or doesn’t play again while every other game is played.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

The Committee will not open up the possibility of a P5 losing to a G5 in the playoffs. They want the myth of perpetual superiority to continue.

This year could have been the year they did a trial run of an 8-team playoff. P5 conference champs with three wild cards to allow a BYU or a Cincy to get in with the loser of the ACC title and a one-loss from the Big 10 or SEC. But too many people would have liked it.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Maybe they can play one of these teams:

Draft saved Draft deleted