1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 Running NFL Thread (Warren Moon edition)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I missed this. Percy Harvin has sleep apnea?

Harvin had an extremely scary moment during the preseason when he collapsed on the field at Winter Park after the onset of another migraine. He was taken to the hospital in an ambulance and said his heart stopped beating for 10 seconds while he was there. Doctors began to believe that Harvin was not getting enough oxygen while sleeping.

Four days after being released from the hospital doctors put Harvin through an overnight sleep test. He told Kremer that during the test his heart stopped beating eight times. That led to the diagnosis of sleep apnea, a disorder that affects breathing while sleeping.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/102610824.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Andrea Kremer's piece yesterday:

http://www.snfallaccess.com/2010/09/percy-harvin-says-his-heart-stopped-beating-after-collapse-in-august/

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wow Childress is much better than the shit I have to deal with in Detroit. Or Lovey in Chicago. Get a grip.

3. Machine Head

I don't know that Chilly is the best option here. Look at how AP was taken out of the mix after half last night. That's on Chilly.

Detroit is headed the right way if the QB pans out, and I think he will.

And somebody, I think it was YGBFKM, picked the Bears to win the North over on the predictions thread.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What makes him better than Shwartz? Tough to judge him on one year.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

There's a plethora of awful coaches in that division. Childress and Lovie just suck, and I'm not sold on McCarthy. But JC's right, give Schwartz a chance. He's got some talent to work with. Let's see what he can do the next couple of years.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Sean Payton completely schooled Childress in the second half. And that decision to challenge the non-catch early in the 4th quarter was beyond stupid. I had a straight-on look at it from where we were sitting and it was clearly a trapped ball. If they've got that time out at the end of the game, then the Saints have to keep playing after Thomas' last run, rather than take three knees and go to the house.

Anyway, as a Saints fan I liked the way they won last night, with basic (read boring) football. The vertical passing game was hit-and-miss, but they were able to run the ball, played outstanding defense and managed the clock to perfection.

BTW, it was a great night with my son, plus I was able to hook up with my sister and her husband for a pre-game pizza.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I missed the one last night, but I'm assuming it was like the anthem she did at the Padres home opener (which I attended) and the All-Star Game, and I kinda liked those.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

First of all, the anthem was really good. Besides being easy on the eyes, she's got a sexy voice to boot.

Second, I really enjoy Collinsworth as color guy. He was breaking down signal calls, examining the New Orleans line play on the last drive. Hell of a lot better than listening to just about anybody else.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Childress needs to grow a pair and tell Favre, "We're running Adrian down the defense's throat, and what we we need from you is to make plays from time to time, not throw the ball 30 times a game." Instead, he's gonna kiss Favre's ass right into misusing his best offensive asset, finishing 9-7 and getting fired.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I remember Antwan Odom was diagnosed with sleep apnea before his last year at Alabama. Turned his life around. Before that, everyone just figured he was a big, lazy guy who didn't like to practice or go to class.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Collinsworth may be the best color commentator out there. Which is the perfect place for him because he's horrible in a studio setting.

12. Machine Head

Behold, The Power of Favre:

NBC scored the best overnight for any NFL kickoff game ever with the Vikings-Saints matchup posting a 16.5 rating/28 share, according to official national numbers from Nielsen Media Research.

The close contest (the Saints topped the Vikings by a five-point spread) was a welcome development for the net, scoring the highest ratings for any NFL regular season primetime game in 12 years, and highest ever for NBC.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/456907-Primetime_Ratings_Nikita_Debuts_Strong_NFL_Kickoff_Sets_Records.php

Draft saved Draft deleted