1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 NFL running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Sep 2, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Since my team is hosting and in the spotlight for the opener on Thursday (and no one else has done it), I'll start things off.

Great opening game, of course. Rematch of the incredible double-overtime playoff game on Jan. 12 in near-zero degree weather (definitely not the case Thursday). Rahim Moore and Jacoby Jones reunited. Elvis "Just the Fax" Dumervil returns to Denver. The Flacco Flap around 5,280 over the banner hung on the stadium and others around town to "promote" the game.

Other notable games that look intriguing:

Falcons at Saints. NFC South blood rivals and the return of Sean Payton.
    Packers at 49ers in a playoff rematch.
    Eagles at Redskins on Monday night with RG3 getting the start.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Reports say Raiders pick Terrelle Pryor to start.

Colts minus 7 is the kind of line that makes you think about doubling the college fund.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I love that the Packers didn't just sign Seneca Wallace ahead of their game with the 49ers. They also signed Scott Tolzien for the stuff the Niners put in before Wallace got there. Rent, don't buy Scott. Better yet. Find an affordable hotel with weekly rates.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

because they feel the JuJu over a starting QB wearing No. 2 is not as bad as the JuJu of a starting QB from LSU

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You could dig up George Blanda and it wouldn't make a difference with these Raiders.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Probably just crashing on his buddy's couch in Madison.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Giants 4-0 at Jerryworld

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Browns have a legit shot to be in first place after this week.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate when the NFL burns off a game like Packers-49ers in Week 1. It's Week 1, we'll happily watch 49ers-Cardinals or Packers-Lions.

Aside from the Thursday night opener and the Sunday night game, they should save obvious marquee matchups for later in the season.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They always try to load up the opening week with good games. They want every broadcast partner to have a national attraction for the week. Weren't Packers-49ers a Week One game last year, too?

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Yup. Same time slot, in Green Bay. Clusterfuck for the Packers, just like the Divisional game was and just like Sunday very well could be.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They could put the Jaguars and Raiders on Thursday night and I would watch. If it was Week 10, maybe not...

I like putting the Super Bowl champ in the first game of the season, I get that. But putting two favorites against each other in a non-prime time game is a mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted