1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedge and Melvin are managers of the year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chester, Nov 14, 2007.

1. chester

chester Member

Just moved on AP. Good to see the Indians raking in the postseason awards, although it would have been nicer to see them win the World Series. Oh well.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Melvin's a good call, I guess, though I thought Charlie Manuel did a better job considering the injuries the Phils had. But for Arizona to win as many games as it did despite being outscored for the season, maybe Melvin pushed all the right buttons.

And while we're on the subject, why does the BBWAA wait so freakin' long to release these? Why not just do it during the playoffs (as football, basketball and hockey do) when people still give a shit?

Any BBWAA members out there who can enlighten?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think this is probably the right call. Torre did do a fine job of getting the Yankees to the playoffs after the Yankees' horrible start, but Wedge did a nice job to pull the Indians away from the pack and almost get home field for the playoffs.

The 19-9 month of September the Indians had probably helped his cause greatly.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not a member, but I like it better this way. The NBA awards get lost in the clutter of the three-month-long playoffs. Cheapens their meaning, IMO.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sort of agree, but two weeks after the fact is a little extreme. It'll be three weeks by the time the MVP awards are released.

Just for argument's sake, what if A-Rod signs with the Angels on Thursday, then is named MVP on Friday? Would be strange ...

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

ESPN will be doing a one-hour special on what Joe Torre thinks of the winners. During this time Torre will talk about himself ad nauseum.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Now you've done it. Casty is going to chew your sorry ass for that remark.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wither Ned Yost??

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Casty actually has a perfectly good explanation for this .. but I'll let him tell you if and when he wants.

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I'll try my best. As some of the old timers (Jack Lang, Dick Young, Milton Richman, Frank Dolson, Charlie Feeney et.al.) explained to me many years ago, they didn't want the announcements to be buried by playoffs and World Series, that they would get more play doing it this way. And yes, there is some sense of self-importance involved in keeping baseball (and the BBWAA) in the news throughout the year. When people used to complain about the voting, Lang would say something like, "It keeps us in the news."

Hey, I had nothing to do with these rules, I'm just serving as messenger. Personally, it doesn't make much difference to me but I see no reason to change now.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Rockies got jobbed out of two awards.

Hurdle should have been Manager of the Year, and Tulowitzki should have been Rookie of the Year.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I like it this way -- a couple weeks after the World Series and one section of awards a day. Rather than releasing all of them at once, we can reflect on each winner(s) one day at a time.

Draft saved Draft deleted