1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding wear?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 7, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That last line nailed it for me. It is best if the bride and groom let their guests know what they want.

When in doubt, I'd at least be wearing a sport coat and tie. I agree with the others that overdressed is better than underdressed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Buck, pictured above, on his way to Rush Limbaugh's recent wedding.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In my defense, I was so wasted on oxy I could barely stand let a lone dress myself.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

For an outdoor wedding in the heat the minimum is dress slacks (not khakis) and dress shirt (no tie without a coat). For air conditioned weddings, wear a coat and tie.

5. Hey - no fucking politics!

This board has been shut down for less than this!!

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm glad you said the last thing in parentheses. I always thought that a tie without a coat looks a little bit junior high banquet-ish.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm attending my friend's wedding on Saturday. I'm wearing a jewel-toned cocktail dress, and was worried it was too casual/whatever. I've been told another of her friends is wearing a bright red satin cocktail dress, and some of the groom's side of the family will be wearing plain summer sundresses. So...I guess anything goes.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The wedding party has no right to complain about what people wear if they don't let people know up front about the dress code.

Also, I seriously considered a Dumb and Dumber-type tux for my wedding. Went with a regular suit, instead. :)

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, now we have to tell people what to wear to a friggin' wedding?

If you're a male over sixteen, you should KNOW that a suit and tie, or at the bare minimum a sports jacket/blazer and tie is expected unless otherwise indicated.

Oh, and make sure your shoes are shined.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Just because other people dress like morons doesn't mean you have to. Suits are good for weddings.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Don't feel you were overdressed in a suit at a wedding, if anything the others were under dressed. I agree with JR that a sports jacket/blazar should be bare minimum, hell if it gets hot during the reception you can always take the jacket off. My sister is getting married this September in a hall at a trailer park -- I know, I know, there are so many jokes that can be made there -- and I will still be wearing a suit and tie. But hey, maybe at 27 I'm old fashioned.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Again, 100% correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted