1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding Ring Tradition?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jun 15, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I just find it odd that you expect people you don't know to give you sideways glances because you don't wear a wedding ring. I mean, just imagine all the weird looks you'd get if they DID know you. :)

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No shit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. 93Devil

I will say when I was single and I had a business meeting with 4-5 married guys, I did feel a little uncomfortable being the only one there without a ring.

Probably just me on that.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I find it odd that anyone would give anyone else dirty looks about a wedding ring, outside of obvious situations like a guy you know is married and usually wears a ring sitting in a bar without it, chatting up women.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So you find it odd that people would do a double-take at a guy wearing a wedding ring on his right hand, which about 1 percent of the people in this country do....but....you don't find it odd that someone you don't even know, someone who has no idea if you're married or not, may or may not give you a sideways glance based on the fact that you don't wear a wedding ring?

Sweet.

6. RickStain

I find all ring-based looks to be odd outside of very specific exceptions.

Between me and scheiz, that's two people who had no idea about the rule. We can't be that uncommon.

7. 93Devil

No. If I tell them I am married, and I am not wearing a ring.

And in business meetings they know me, and if I am still the single one at 30/40-something, that says something about me.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

There are two situations where people pay attention to a man's not wearing a wedding ring: when a woman he's just met is assessing his eligibility, and when his mother is bemoaning her lack of grandchildren. I don't think strangers would comment on no ring.

A wedding band on the right hand? Yes, some people will ask. Not everyone, it will happen occasionally, but it will happen occasionally for as long as he wears the ring that way. Should he care? As I said before, he gets to decide what he wants to be annoyed by.

9. RickStain

I'll say it before anyone else does: that explains why nobody cares that I don't wear one.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If you're unwilling to adhere to the tradition of the ring, why wear a ring at all?

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'd rather see a married guy with a ring on the wrong hand, than with no ring at all.

I understand taking the ring off while you're playing softball or working in the yard or working out...but the rest of the time, it just seems suspicious.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

What does it say?

Draft saved Draft deleted