1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding Ring Tradition?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jun 15, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

People sure do love making up stupid, arbitrary rules and getting butthurt when other people don't follow them. I'm really not sure what the point is.

I'm glad I lost my wedding ring a few months after I got married.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They are not stupid, arbitrary rules. They are traditions.
    The wedding band itself is just a tradition, so if one is going to follow the tradition of wearing the wedding band why balk about wearing it on the appropriate hand?

3. RickStain

Why give two poops if someone else balks?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Because the someone balking is about to become his wife.
    I hate wearing jewelry, rings, watches, etc. Don't like it.
    If I were to marry, I would prefer not to wearing a wedding band.
    However, if the wife was insistent that I wear a wedding band, I'd wear it on the correct hand. I'm already playing along with the tradition at that point.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, the wife to be doesn't care. The problem I have is that, if this is indeed the long-standing tradition, a tradition I was unaware of until right now, I don't feel like having to answer 20 questions to every Tom, Dick and Harry that sees me sporting a ring on the "wrong" hand.

I'm definitely not trying to conceal the fact that I'm getting married. I'll just take the ring off when I want to mack it to young chicks (j/k).

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. And this is why you were on the receiving end of a lecture, schiez. It's a tradition. If you are going to wear it on the wrong hand, why bother wearing it at all?

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

You'll get more interest from "young chicks" if you leave it on.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Because I'm actually kind of excited on wearing it. I picked it out today and it looks cool. I'm happy to show my love to all the people who want to picture me getting laid and throw up. I would just prefer to wear it on my right hand because, on the few occasions I've worn rings, that's the hand I've worn them on.

It's not a big deal, either way, I would just prefer it on the right hand and didn't realize it was some sort of fashion mistake.

9. RickStain

Because he wants to? He should wear his ring on whichever of his two hands he pleases. And everyone who is not the owner of either the ring or one of the hands should kindly butt the fuck out.

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I know string players who wear them on their right hands so they don't get in the way or throw off the balance of the hand. Just tell people you're Yo Yo Ma.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Same rule as earrings for guys: left is right, right is wrong.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This ain't hard. The reason the sales lady gave you a hard time is she probably thought, "Here's another jerkoff who thinks he can have it both ways. Get married but keep it a secret."

You may want to show the world you're married, but the fact is, no one will know because everybody looks at the left hand.

You can do whatever you want and not care what people think, but be prepared for all kinds of dirty looks from people who suspect ulterior motives.

Draft saved Draft deleted