1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dude, Oct 15, 2009.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Isn't $100 the minimum nowadays? Recently was told by multiple female friends that you're supposed to give enough to cover your plate. Don't know how true it is ...

Dude, I was invited to the wedding of an ex/good friend last year and, then living five hours away, was skeptical about attending. I nutted up, took a day off work and drove down, and was glad I attended. Figured if it was important enough for me to be invited even though I lived far away, the least I could do was show up.

2. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Zeke12, It was a typical service. Some priest talking about God, Jesus, etc. Lucky it was only a half hour.

Wicked, I was given a lot of grief for not going to the reception by a lot of people. I was even told to fuck myself when I walked into the church by one friend who was really pissed. Stuff like that was one reason I was really hesitant to even attend the ceremony.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

See, and those are the kind of people I would question being friends with. It's one thing for the couple getting married to be ticked you won't be there, but it's another if it's other friends/guests. It's not their wedding. IMHO, they can go f--k themselves.

4. Word.

Get a second job, you fucking loser.

5. $100 gift? God you're stupid.

6. There's your problem.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine wasting one nanosecond of my life giving someone grief because they didn't attend a wedding reception. There are times I really do think God put me on the wrong planet.

An aunt and uncle did not attend my wedding, because they could not locate the extremely-out-of-the-way chapel. They had tried a dry run beforehand but could not find it and simply were too nervous to try it again.

But they attended a post-wedding dinner afterward in an easy-to-locate restaurant. Suppose we could have given them grief for not attending the wedding, but the thought never crossed my mind. Life is too short to worry about shit like that.

8. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

This part is actually relevant to a lot of folks on this board.

I have a team beat. The team had a game last night. I had to cover it. It's my job.

My friends couldn't understand that. It's not like the team was going to postpone the game for me. And for what I do, there really isn't anyone who can fill in for me.

I basically equated it to me scheduling a wedding at 10 a.m. on a Tuesday morning and getting pissed no one with a "normal" 9-5 job could attend.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Then I can only imagine you suck as a reporter, because dear lord did you bury the lede.

Here's how your initial post should have read:

I think your stunning social graces are the result of not being able to properly explain the situation to people who need to know.

Draft saved Draft deleted