1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wedding attire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CradleRobber, Dec 28, 2007.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I'm attending a close friend's wedding tonight, but I haven't been to a wedding in about seven or eight years and I didn't own an extensive dress wardrobe back then.

She said it's formal and that a suit would be fine. Are there general guidelines on suit color for a ceremony in a church?

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I assume you could still wear white.

I usually stick to the black suit with a nice color tie. I went to one recently in August, and it seemed to be the color of choice.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Cool. A Friday night wedding. Dinner, drinks and it won't ruin a Saturday. Black suit and a white shirt with a nice tie.

Or maybe a tuxedo T-shirt.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Navy is OK, too.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Black or gray suit with a white shirt, nice tie and shiny shoes. Don't go sockless.

Every man needs a good black suit, fitted well, with several white shirts, ties, belt and black socks. And good shoes. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or 84 years old. Buy one.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

[​IMG]

Cradle Robber and BYH do a pre-wedding interview with chef before going into the wedding.

When asked how he still looked so good at such an advanced age, BYH replies........."That's how we roll, you turkey."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Not sure if they make this in your size ...

[​IMG]

:)

If the bride told you formal, then you can't go wrong with a dark suit.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Birthday Suit?

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

[​IMG]

There are, on any given day, three men in America who can pull off the all-white look. Tom Wolfe is two of them.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

By definition, "formal" means white tie and tails and "semiformal" means a tuxedo with black tie. By that standard a regular suit is businesswear, not formalwear. But nowadays most people don't know what it means and they use "formal" to indicate wearing a tie of any kind. If the invitation says "formal attire," it could mean a tux, and it never hurts to ask. If I'm in doubt, I ask, but since your friend said "suit," I guess that what's meant.

Really, I think a suit of any dark color (black, navy, dark gray) is appropriate if no one besides the wedding party is wearing tuxes. I haven't worn my black suit since my own wedding, I just don't happen to like black suits.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I love how on any and all threads regarding dressing up, shiny/shined shoes always get mentioned. Just my observation...

I vote for black, too. It just looks classy. Have fun, but don't drink too much ;)

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Is Colonel Sanders the third?

Draft saved Draft deleted