1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

websites without phone numbers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writing irish, Jan 27, 2009.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Is there any reason why companies spend hundreds, nay thousands, of hours on a company website and then have no telephone contact information anywhere on their massive, multi-paged, labyrinthine, fucking website? Just a little "Contact Us" email form...in some cases without even an email address?

Seriously, is there a concerted effort to suck here or is it unintentional Fail?

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I've ran into this before and I think it is a combination of both.
    Some places don't want you to contact them by phone, so they don't put the number up or hide it so deep that you can't find it or the outfit has this grand plan for its site and forget that some people only want a number to call or a place to send e-mail.
    It can be pretty hilarious to find a site a site that lists its facebook page, its twitter feed and its blog, but not a number where you can call them.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's a concerted effort, you can bet the house on that.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Some places, including newspapers, seem to make their "Contact" link so small that it appears they do not want anyone contacting them for any reason.

No staff email or "info@" email links, no phone numbers, nothing.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Newspapers shouldn't try to hide contact info. It's a double standard from an industry that tries to contact any source by any means necessary.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Most do. You need to know the tricks of the websites just to finally find a directory with phone numbers or emails for staffers.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I agree a lot of newspapers have phone numbers and e-mail addresses listed. But some don't. Of course you can always call the front desk.

8. I've noticed this a lot lately. A whole lot. No email addresses is the big thing - just email forms. And even trying to find a phone number for something like getting phone service set up is a huge clusterfuck. Everyone wants you to do it online.

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I find more phone nos. by Google than by any other means

10. micke77

micke77 Member

i've noticed that on some organization's i've tried to contact for info...it's frustrating. sometimes you'd be surprised at how big and well-known some of these organizations are that follow this policy.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've seen this, too. But, I will say that everytime I've contacted them using the CONTACT box (often about jobs), I've gotten a response, usually the next day.

So at least someone IS checking the thing.

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I agree that companies omit the number to decrease the need for a call center. While the phone number may be buried deep in the site somewhere, I had this problem with Netflix. I did a Google search and found it on a message board.

Draft saved Draft deleted