1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Website Copy Editing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Jan 18, 2010.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

When it comes to the website, is there anyone still employed who is capable of writing or editing copy? I ask because this is what I just found on a story about Tiger Woods that came from the Orlando Sentinel's Web site:

Tiger Woods isn't in Orlando any more — he's at Mississippi clinic known for treated sexual addiction, two television stations are reporting.

1. I asked my wife to read it, and she caught the "any more" problem.
    2. Did they actually set that off with an em dash and a comma?
    3. They forgot an article before Mississippi. But hey, the person spelled Mississippi correctly!
    3. Obviously, it should be treating instead of treated.

I doubt that this was a product of the sports department. And, yes, it is a national holiday. Lord knows who is handling the Web site stuff today. With all of the cuts, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that someone from HR was in charge this morning. But I still want to bash my brains in when I read this kind of ridiculousness.

Just a few minutes before I saw this lead, I read a headline on my hometown paper's Web site that said "Mobile dental clinic read to roll." That paper has a much smaller staff and, arguably, a lot less talent than the Sentinel. It seems that our industry is moving toward an online product, but it appears that nobody is bothering to invest in this product. I would guess that the people working for online are generally less talented and less experienced than their print counterparts.

Of course, the elephant in the room is that some TV stations in Mississippi are breaking this news. I don't even want to go there.

Does anyone edit the online copy in your newsroom?

Are the people writing for the web as qualified as the people writing for print?

2. Mira

Mira Member

I saw the topic Website Copy Editing and thought one thing: there is never website copy editing.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Web site.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, and shhhhhhhhhhhh....don't tell my bosses. Or SF_Express's bosses.

5. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Me edit pretty someday.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

When the production staff uploads the paper, I have to fix about half of the headlines and bylines since they set everything to uppercase.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Sometimes stories come over for editing to the newspaper end of things at our shop and they've been up for hours on the Web site with unbelievable errors, up to and including things you could get sued for. But remember, Web is the future. We know nothing.

8. Trust me, there is no one from HR working today. Or anybody else outside the newsroom and pressroom.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I generally write "Web site." One of my main clients requires "website" for search engine purposes. In the copy, you will see that I wrote it both ways. My guess is that "Web site" heads to the AP graveyard in 2-3 years.

10. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

The problem with newspapers now is there aren't enough people working at night.
    The problem with newspapers' Web sites as they need as many people editing during the day as they have at night.
    Good luck with that.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ah, well, OK...

HeinekenMan is obviously talking about substaffed newspaper websites on a holiday, and not mainstream big sports-only websites, including this one, which is very well staffed right now. I can't claim you won't find a typo on the site, because I couldn't have claimed that about the New York Times in 1985.

Heineken, I think that's a tweener on the m dash/comma business. I think you could make the case that sentence only called for the one dash (it could have been a semicolon)....because they wanted the TV stations reporting to refer to the sex clinic, not the fact he wasn't in Orlando anymore.

Our place has been website one word for ages, and I too work for a freelance client that wants it that way as well.

If you think your hometown newspaper had a lot more people working on its website than the mighty Orlando Sentinel had working on its website today, sad to say, you're probably dreaming.

As far as TV stations "breaking" the Tiger in sex rehab in Mississippi story, said story has been floating around since before the weekend. He has also been in Phoenix and South Africa. If somebody finally gets it right, great, but until it's positive, it's not worth going out on a limb over.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I know that's AP, but the dictionary does include "website."

Draft saved Draft deleted