1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web updates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, May 18, 2008.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

So the shop I'm at wants a news update our Web site every 15 minutes during the day. That doesn't mean Sports has to do one every 15 minutes, but we do have scheduled times to do one. The problem is, we're often putting updates up that involve things like Dear Abby letters, followed by "to see Abby's advice, visit blah blah blah." Does anyone else feel that quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality?

2. enigami

enigami Member

As an industry, we are in a state of throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks. Here's hoping this doesn't.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yes. We constantly have "Web updates" on ridiculous shit. But you know what? It gets hits, and that's what they're going for. People are suckers for "breaking news."

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I think you run Web updates when something happens, else if it is just "read Dear Abby" people are going to stop looking there for real news. That being said, start putting up little stuff - police reports, weather updates (if it merits), etc. That will carry more weight.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

About seven months ago, I went to a mandated "web conference" hosted by our parent company. We were taught how to "post breaking news."

However, at the time, my computer couldn't access the website needed to do it. And the one that could handle the updates was in a room that was locked at 5 p.m. when the "web editor" went home for the day.

Then, in the new year, I got a new computer, but they changed the program we use to create "web updates." Now, I and several others have to attend another conference in order to learn the new program.

Throwing things to see what sticks? How about throwing money away?

6. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I just feel that posting updates for the sake of posting updates is a waste of time, and it makes us look desperate for people to check out the site.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm all for enhancing our product on the Web. I'm totally against doing something just for the sake of saying we do it.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

So, you want to be consider a leader in news, but only want to update the Web site once a day? Here's a newsflash: People will find places to get their news when it happens. If you don't make it habit for them to visit your site, their habits will form elsewhere.

I'll grant that labeling sections with these kinds of things "News Updates" perhaps isn't the best, but why not suggest labeling it "Latest on MyPaper.com" or something like that. All you want to do is to let people know what the latest and greatest on your site is.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Why is it "dear Abby" kind of stuff? AP is pretty consistently moving stuff during the afternoon that pertains to sports, so why not just grab the optional from the Indians-Rays day game, the results of a ATP event in Europe or a coach being hired/fired?

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

It's all about getting to the top of Google News, baby.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I understand not wanting to update with crap just to update. But there's a lot of news moving out there 24/7, from outside sources and (hopefully) your own reporters.

A website that just sits there all day with the same content is no longer an option, I'd say. Not if you're going to get where websites are going to have to be down the road.

12. dieditor

dieditor Member

Since we are on the subject, a question: who on your staff typically handles web updates? Do you have a designated "updater," or is everyone trained to upload content online? My shop is rolling out a new platform (allegedly) very soon, and I'd like to get ideas on how other small newsrooms (there are only six of us) handle the web.

Draft saved Draft deleted