1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

web site/domain/hosting?? help please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm wanting to set up a simple, non-commercial web site for a group with maybe some pull down options for a schedule of events, contact info, maybe a picture or three. If I use Godaddy or whatever to set it up, does that just give me the name or does that host it, give me templates to set it up, etc.? How does all that work and what are my best options. Any expense will come out of my pocket, so I don't really want to go too much into money for it but a little is OK.

Thanks.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Go Daddy can do everything -- domain, host, template your site.

I highly recommend their customer service, too.

Wordpress is the way to go if you want a simple blog-based platform.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Buying a domain is seperate from hosting, but you can do both on GoDaddy.com. Domain's are ~$10/year while hosting comes at a monthly fee. Keep in mind you can't just buy a domain and have your site on it. Hosting is the bigger part.

GoDaddy is relatively "cheap hosting," both in price and quality, but no one beats the customer service there. So if you're not building a site for a huge org., going with GoDaddy should work fine.

As far as wanting drop down menus, and that sort of thing, I say go with WordPress to keep it simple. My personal site is based in WordPress (link in signature) and if you go over to the Sports tab, there are drop down examples. Not all templates have drop down menus, but there are thousands out there to pick from or you can build your own. GoDaddy hosting also makes it easy to install WP if you don't know how to use an FTP client.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I probably don't even need anything real detailed. I almost wonder if setting up a Facebook page wouldn't be the best way to go. Like I say, all I really want to do is set up a central place where people can post their schedule of events and others can go there to see what's going on around the area, and then it wouldn't cost anything. Aren't there some free blog-hosting sites out there that would work, too? I'm not a Facebook user, nor am I a blogger, so I'm not real sure of the options.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

WordPress has a free version (go to WordPress.com instead of -.org). There's also Blogger or Tumblr.

6. dmc

dmc Guest

There are also sites like this one.

http://www.keepandshare.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted