1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web design work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Anyone do Web design work on the side?
    I've had an offer to do a couple sites and these would be first I've built for hire.
    Any suggestions from those who have done Web design or do on a regular basis to make the process go smoothly?

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Do not visit or include links to subserviantchicken.com.

3. Make sure both parties know EXACTLY what is expected and what they want. Don't let them expand the scope of the original project too much at all.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I did the USBWA Web site before they hired a professional to handle it. Make sure you get paid equal to the amount of work you put into it.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Work up a contract.
    Also, include for how long you plan to be a "designer" ... often you'll get the page/site designed, and then, 4 months later a problem or a desired enhancement will pop up and the person will "expect" you to fix it or do it -- at no extra cost. Ha!

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Thanks for the tips.
    Most I already had in mind, but a reminder/reassurance isn't a bad thing.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Find a Web site you like, copy the source code, tweak it to fit your customer's needs.

Easy money.

Draft saved Draft deleted