1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

web design for newbs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writing irish, Aug 24, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Strangely, even though I know nothing about web design, I've been delegated a web-design task. Anyone have any favorite books or websites for those who are new at this sort of thing?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

"Idiot's Guide to HTML" was pretty good for me when I built one.

But really, you can learn all you need to know about HTML by Googling it. You learn something, then it's copy-and-paste. You do something you like, remember it and do it again and again.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's the technical aspect and the design aspect.

The former can be taught fairly quickly, the latter not so much.

4. writing irish

Ideally, I want the pages in question to be very vertical in orientation, with lots of javascript and other shit that makes it take a long time to download. In fact, I'll even include a fancy, memory-munching javascript graphic that shows exactly what percentage of the unfuckingbelievably complicated page has yet to download onto our lowly readers' shitty, consumer-quality computers.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

useit.com

You might also look for "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug. It's a quick read and a good overview of generalities in Web design.

7. writing irish

Well, he certainly has the aesthetic aspect of it nailed. That's a hell of an attractive page.

8. Hiro

Hiro Member

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think this guy knows a thing or two about Web sites and their design.

10. writing irish

Thanks, Doc! :eek: :mad: ;D

Too bad for that dickbag that the 1980s ended...he embodies the spirit of that gilded decade with a poisonous accuracy.

11. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I clicked on this link just to recommend this book. It was required reading my web publishing course and it's outstanding, I think.

12. I think it's great that, for a site that slams design for compromising content, the commentary page is virtually unreadable in Firefox, thanks to a stylesheet that's way too f'in complicated.

It does serve as a reminder that when you get to the design stage, WI, avoid Microsoft FrontPage at all costs.

Draft saved Draft deleted