1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wealthy L.A. Schools' Vaccination Rates Are as Low as South Sudan's

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As a society in 2014, education Rule No. 1 should be: you don't vaccinate, your kid stays home.

Why we let a select few fucking bozos dictate the welfare of the greater population is beyond me.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That IS a rule. In public schools.

A vast majority of the anti-vaxx crowd enrolls their kids in private schools, which, "coincidentally," are where most of these outbreaks start.

Google "infant whooping cough" and show some of those videos to anyone who thinks vaccines aren't worth it.

3. joe

joe Active Member

I have an aunt who has polio because her dad — my step-grandfather, who was born in 1902 — didn't think the kids needed to be vaccinated.

Yeah, my kids are getting the shots, every shot they need.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Aren't there religious and other exemptions?

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

It's a rule in public schools but it doesn't stop the districts from extending the deadlines for the vaccinations and allowing the kids to stay in school.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It isn't a rule everywhere -- our public schools (Bay Area) grant a Personal Belief Exemption.

As whooping cough exposure has increased, the initial impulse was to blame all those damn immigrant children. Turns out they get vaccinated at a very high rate. It's all the Earth Mothers who are doing parenting better than the rest of us who don't take the vaccines.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

In some places, yes. In some places, no. As LTL cited, the "personal belief exemption" is what everyone actually wants. That was essentially conjured out of thin air after almost every religious entity said there's no reason for them to prohibit vaccines.

There are medical exemptions, of course, and there is careful pre-vaccination screening catches most of those.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Here's a database that carries PBE rates by school (2013 version). Some private and charter schools have PBE rates above 70 percent. Even some public schools are into the 30s and 40s. Marin County as a whole has a 7.8 percent PBE rate.

http://blogs.kqed.org/stateofhealth/2013/09/06/more-california-parents-opting-out-of-vaccines-look-up-your-school-online/

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I took a picture of a Toyota Carolla the other day that had bumper stickers that said:

"Pro-science. Pro-health.
    ANTI-VACCINE."

"Vaccines cause ALL autoimmune diseases"

"The autism epidemic:
    Environmental or 36 shots?"

"CALLOUS DISREGARD: I support Dr. Wakefield
    Autism and vaccines: The truth behind a tragedy"

"Proud family of someone with AUTISM"

As a father of a child with autism, this kind of stupidness pisses me off.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Really feel sorry for that kid with a family like that.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Anti-vaxers are dumb and dangerous.
    Hopefully the raw water movement doesn't catch on. People can go back to dying from cholera and typhoid, too.

Bring back all of the diseases largely controlled in the US for the past 100 years!

Draft saved Draft deleted