1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Were Print

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Informational blog for those recently whacked or fearing imminent whacking...

http://www.wewereprint.com/

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Simon, you might want to post this on the 'getting out of the business' help thread at the top of this board. A quick perusal of your link shows it to be interesting and possibly helpful.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Way ahead of you, IDBJAG. :D

4. imjustagirl

*sigh*

I thought I'd give the guy the chance to do it himself. Apparently SOME of us aren't so kind.

:p

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Barsuk, i hope you at least shared the credit with Simon.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I did. In fact, I gave him all the credit.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No prob with Barsuk.

Thanks for posting it up there.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

No problem. Thanks for posting it here.

9. imjustagirl

I WAS KIDDING!

Sheesh.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Scrolled down a little on that site and saw this beauty regarding the Palm Beach Post:

Q&A: Post Bashing
    July 24th, 2008 · No Comments
    The Voluntary Separation Agreement includes a clause that says employees are to refrain from making “disparaging remarks” or comments about The Post, its management or other employees.

Human Resources was asked the question: How long is this edict in force?

HR’s answer: As long as your pay lasts from the separation agreement. If you were paid for 14 years’ service, then you will not speak ill of The Post or anybody in management or otherwise, for 28 weeks.

So even with a lump sum, a gentlemen's agreement supposedly dissuades you from ripping the bastards who dug your career grave, but only for a period equivalent to your severance. After that, the gloves can come off. Hooray!

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

These "non-disparagement" agreements are the most rank form of bullshit. If somebody asks me what I think about having my career handed to me in an envelope, I'm going to answer the question. Most of it would likely not be printable anyway.

wewereprint.com is valuable reading. The financial advice, particularly, is solid.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd love to see some paper try to sue a former employee to get back their benefits after the fired employee rips on them. Lots of luck trying to find a jury that will side with the paper on that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted