1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We got snakes in the kitchen!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: We got muthafuckin' snakes in the kitchen!!!!

[​IMG]

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I was waiting for that...

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Jesus H. You're a braver man than I, AQB. My fear of snakes would have probably left me cowering in a corner and hoping the deputy would do his work solo. I shiver just thinking about this situation.

Any thoughts on how that fucker got in the house? I'd be checking around for holes where other slimys might want to make themselves unwanted house guests.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We're pretty sure he came in throuh a gap in the wall by the dryer vent. I plugged that as soon as I found it. I think he got in the wall through the garage. When I got home last night the door was up. Some branches from a bush near the door tripped the sensor apparently and the door didn't close. I didn't notice it as I was driving away.

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

People, people people ...
    The only good rattlesnake is a dead rattlesnake. Trust me.
    AQB did well in exterminating it. That's the best way, too — shovel right behind the ol' noggin.

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

And how's Steve Irwin doing these days with his overly aggressive, showy tricks around wild animals?

7. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

What the ...

This is when you know you've watched too much Discovery Channel.

My first suggestion would have been a For Sale sign in the front yard.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

might want to clean up this thread title ...

PhilaYank, with all due respect, you're nuts. Unless you are a professional at handling wild animals, you do not attempt to do so. Put a rattler in a pillow case, and you will get bitten, right through the cloth. In a case like AQB's, I don't think he had any choice but to kill it, seeing how animal control wouldn't come out and the deputy "doesn't like snakes."

As an aside, if a snake -- any snake ... garter, scarlet king snake, whatever, regardless of venomosity --- came into chez novelist, we'd be moving. Mrs. Novelist would determine that the house was uncleaner than a poltergeist occupation, and we'd be gone. Clothes, TV, jewelry, Gamecube all stay. She, I, two kids, in the car and outta here. Do not pass go.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

First Michael Vick killing dogs and now you killing a rattlesnake. Can't we all just get along?

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

But Arthur Blank said Armchair_QB did nothing wrong, and he's a good guy.

:)

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Saw my grandpa kill a huge one of those bad boys with a pole-digger. Just walked up and popped his head off.

I'd have hid in the closet.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Trust me, I know me some rattlesnake. Got bit by a timber rattler when I was 11 while hiking in North Jersey. Can't say I enjoyed the experience, because I didn't. I don't know if the venom re-wired my brain, but I don't fear snakes whatsoever. Even had one as a pet and would like another one, too.

As for putting the snake in the bag, all but the smallest snakes can bite through even the burlap bags the pros use, which is why I said to double-bag. The snake and strike the bag as much as it wants, just don't be dumb or careless enough to be right next to the sack. And if it's just too damn agitated that you can't handle it, isolate it and try to get animal control. Send it to a zoo or have it re-released into the wild. The notion that rattlers are territorial is largely a myth. They just return to the same cave each winter to hibernate, that's all.

One last thing: I would never want to pick a viper up by the head. Since their fangs are hinged like a switch-blade, they could slide a fang through the side of their mouth and stab you that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted