1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We don't see the appeal of A Christmas Story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Dec 24, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

What's funny is my stepmom's (god just typing that makes me wanna throw up) love for it is part of the reason I hate it.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Two words: Shitter's Full!

That said, trying to glean anything inherently "good" from A Christmas Story is missing the point.

It's just been one, since the advent of cable. So people have fond memories. Has little to do with the film itself.

And, Bunny Scene!

3. KG

KG Active Member

Now for the moment. Go Ralphie! Go look behind the tree.

4. KG

KG Active Member

Okay, who puts a partially cooked turkey on the counter anyway?

5. KG

KG Active Member

Deck the hoars with bows of roary, ra ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Try calling her your father's wife instead. That's what I always called mine when my father was still around. I won't repeat what I have called her since.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

To me, and I haven't seen it all the way through, this is a veritable piece of Americana.

There's no way this movie gains any momentum in any other country, but those who have lived here for a while get it, and understand its place in this country's psyche.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

And like any other movie, some people love it and some hate it. No big deal either way

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have called her that, but whenever I say my father's wife people always say "your mom?".

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I also have never understood the appeal of this movie. If you guys wanna start a newsletter or an anti-fan club...telethon, whatever...just give me a holler.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Always been kind of partial to it, because I looked a hell of a lot like Ralphie when I was a kid. Except that he had way more stylish specs than I did at that age.. and the damn movie was set in 1940-ish.

The old man makes the movie.. like saying the green lights are out when it's the blue, saying how the Olds would freeze up in the middle of summer on the eeee-quator. Plus, I think it speaks to any of us who have ever gotten the one thing one christmas that we truly, truly wanted.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

All I can say to that DD68 is

Fa-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra-ra

Draft saved Draft deleted