1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We don't see the appeal of A Christmas Story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Dec 24, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

For Ross, Simon, me, and all others who just don't get it.

Discuss.

The lamp is retarded.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The lamp is like "A Christmas Story". Something I absolutely love and you just see trash. :)

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Well done, I will never understand what so many people see in this film.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I've tried to sit through it. I end up changing the channel and wondering why I tried to watch it.

5. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

The appeal for me is that it brings back memories of a simple time. I'm from a lower, middle-class family and am old enough to remember what it was like to wait for that one, special Christmas present - a really-good football or basketball, maybe an electroic football set. When I was older, I wanted a TV for my room. This is back in the days before there was cable TV and a TV in every room. My mom told me I could have a black-and-white TV. I said I wanted a color TV. I agreed not to get a TV that Christmas and waited an entire year to get a color TV the following Christmas. Not only was it Christmas, but Dec. 25 is also my birthday. Today, with both parents working, and perhaps feeling a bit guilty about being away from home so much, they give their kids video games and such just because it happens to be Tuesday. In one Christmas, they get more stuff than I got in my entire childhood ... and I don't think they are any better for it.
    Merry Christmas.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Has its moments, but overrated, imo.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the movie to begin with. Much less of a fan when it preempts one of my favorite stations for a whole freaking day. Much, much less of a fan when a family member loves it and has it on repeatedly on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

WFW, that is the main reason I can't stand it. Love TBS for Family Guy and all the sitcom reruns. At least TNT is still functional, I think.

9. KG

KG Active Member

<----------------

The lamp is awesome!

10. KG

KG Active Member

I tripple dog dare you to mock the lamp!

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'm actually looking at that very same lamp (mini version) on my desk right now.

It kicks ass, and it is FRAG-EE-LAY.

12. jps

jps Active Member

I don't get it either, sc. not at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted