1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Bought Our First Home!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Congrats, Pete!

Don't want to steal your thunder, but we just closed on our first house, too. Very exciting. Great deals to be had for anyone who is looking to get in, and the $7,500 tax credit* for first-time home buyers is a great incentive.

* It's not really a "tax credit" as much as an interest-free government loan. You pay it back in $500 increments on your taxes over a 15-year period. Still, it's great for people like us who can afford the monthly payment but couldn't really afford to upfront costs.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Good job, Pete!

Having a home of your own is a cool thing. It's a place to build memories forever.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Pete,

Consider me the worst thing possible.

I'll be expecting my check in a few days.

Just kidding. But seriously, mail the check.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Hahah I get what you're trying to say Pete, but when you said garage door opener, I had a picture in my head of some guy handing you a new remote to control the door.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Go meet your neighbors. Can be the best thing about owning a home, sitting outside with the guy next door, pounding a few beers, firing up the barbeque, and also having them keep an eye on your place and getting your mail while you're gone and on your child when he/she plays outside.

Lucky for us, we have a great neighborhood.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Congrats to Barsuk, too!

And thanks to all well wishers up to this point.

I just firmed up the home insurance today. So that's another piece of work and documentation out of the way.

The home inspection is tomorrow. Hopefully nothing is wrong.

I found out that this little old lady had all her pipes examined every December whether they need it or had problems or not.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's a good deal. I want to buy another house right now, but since I've already owned two, I don't get any of the cool deals.

Oh well.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wow, I didn't even know such a deal existed. How does it work?

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Congratulations! There's nothing like the first night in a your new home. Good luck!

What about the pipes in the house?

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

There's a form you fill out on your taxes that gives you a full $7,500 back. Say you're getting $200 back ... now you're getting $7,700 back. You pay it back $500 a year with your taxes the next 15 years. What we're going to do is increase our withholdings enough to cover it, so we won't ever miss that $500.

It expires in July, but I'm sure Obama will pass some more good deals for first-time homebuyers.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Had a home inspection today. No major faults. Just energy efficiency things more than anything (weather stripping, insulation, etc.).

It cost me $300 but I figure if I do some of the things he said we'll make that and more back within a couple years.

Did you know just taping up all joints in your heating duct work can save you 20% in heating costs per year?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Only if you use the correct tape. Don't use duct tape, use the silver foil tape instead ...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=95192-133-95192&lpage=none

Draft saved Draft deleted