1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Bought Our First Home!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yeah, it's a self congratulatory thread. So what?

Yup. Me and the Mrs. bought our first home. Three bedrooms, two bathrooms, finished basement, on the edge of the city, no neighbors in the backyard, just a nice green meadow designated "urban renewal" (read: no development) by the city.

It needs some work. The lady who owned it was 88 years old. Wallpaper everywhere. But, that can change.

I'm pumped and scared shitless at the same time. The mortgage rate was super low. The house was, of course, a steal. But, in this economy we could all be out of a job tomorrow.

At any rate, we took the plunge and still have $25K in emergency savings if the worst thing possible should happen.

2. Congrats, Pete.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Congratulations. That is really awesome that you have that much money left over.

I'd build a fence in your backyard if you don't have one already.

Owning a home is one of the most rewarding things life has to offer.

4. Pete Incaviglia

A fence is there, but it's of rustic ilk - kind of goes with the meadow. But I will change that eventually. No hurry yet. The little can barely walk. But I'll be fencing it in for sure.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Congratulations, Pete!

If you've got a good down payment, it's a buyers market most places right now.

6. Pete Incaviglia

That was the case here Zeke. We had a big down payment. The market is super soft. And rates were low.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Then you're set. I just never understand people who don't put in a fence.

Oh, and as I'm sure you know, a little paint goes a long way to making the inside of your house look completely different.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there's a lot of ilking taking place tonight.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you haven't closed yet, I would suggest strongly getting an insurance policy to cover any repairs in the first year.
    We didn't get one and had a leaky roof and central air go out...
    You should be able to get it through the agent...

And congrats!

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, it's a strange word. And it has been used a lot tonight.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ilk this, 'gola.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Oh shit. That's the other thing I didn't mention. Since 2003, the roof, the central air, the windows and the garage door opener have all be replaced. It's like a brand new home. Hell, it's only 20 years old. We just caught it for sale after all the major work was done.

Draft saved Draft deleted