1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We are Penn(itentiary) State!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=3504915

Holy hell. I had no idea that Penn State's disciplinary issues were this staggering. Forty-six players facing a combined 163 charges since 2002?!?!?!?! JoePa's interview was a train wreck, too. Talk about a tainted image...

Even the SEC's bad boys can't top this.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Saw this on ESPN this morning. Ol' Joe Pa is definitely in denial.

3. Hammer Pants

My college roommate lives in the Philly area, and he's having a field day with this. He called me and said he wants to print "We are State Penn!" shirts.

4. Graham Spanier is the man who should be getting the tough questions and blame, not the barely alive Joe Paterno. It is Spanier and others on the board who refuse to make a tough decision and tell Joe to retire or face the news of being fired. Paterno and Bobby Bowden are holding programs hostage by making themselves higher than the institution. These men earned their shot to retire on their own without facing the firing squad but the last 5-10 years for each program has been one problem after another.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Then so are folks at Tennessee, Iowa, Wisconsin and other places.

The three I named had disproportionate runs in recent years, with Iowa in the midst of an ugly stretch.

Penn State is not an island in this discussion.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, they didn't "win" the 2007 Fulmer Cup.

Illinausea did. :D And Penn State was runner-up.

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Fulmer_Cup_2007

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sounds like Iowa.

8. Hammer Pants

An island? Not at all. But I can't imagine any current program topping those ridiculous numbers since 2002. Seventeen players just in 2007? Holy shit. That's not a coincidence. That's an epidemic.

And when you claim to build a program like Paterno claims he has, you're practically begging modern media to come punch a hole in it.

9. Hammer Pants

http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Fulmer_Cup_Dynasty

For giggles, here's the all-time Fulmer Cup standings. Roll Tide!

How can Fulmer be fourth in his own conference? The award is named after his 2005 Bad Boys.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

So they are basically Florida State North?

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Joe has raised millions towards non-athletic endeavors at Penn State and he and his wife funded the reconstruction of the library on campus.
    He leaves when he wants to leave.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Sheeeit, he's at least twenty years late. You could get one of those in the mid-80s.

Course, it wasn't nearly as true back then. :-\

Draft saved Draft deleted