1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"We Are Marshall"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Dec 13, 2006.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Why I'm excited - The people who made the movie made a point to work with Marshall reps, who in turn waited a long time to make this movie. They thought other attempts were too low-budget and wouldn't do the story justice.

We see the players' real names (unlike in Rudy BTW).

I didn't realize Marshall had a black quarterback then, Reggie Oliver. Very ahead-of-its-time. I know Michigan State had one in the late '60s. Other than than Spartans -- and the traditionally black schools of the time of course -- who else started a black QB in the late' 60s/early '70s?

Frowns - The reel-life version of the winning touchdown in the Herd's first home game after the plane crash - win against Xavier that came on the last play of the game - isn't what happened in real life. Odd. Not to nitpick, but the reality was an awesome play, a throwback catch/run reception.

I haven't seen "Miracle," but I heard the crowd shots hardly portray 1980. Can anyone verify this? Not literally, but you see something along the lines of Colorado Rockies hats and "Do You Yahoo?" shirts.

Still looks like a cool movie. Robert Patrick = will always be scary. Coach T1000.

"I'm a world's champion frowner, so I wanna see some smiles around here."
    - Bear Bryant

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Rockies hats ... do you mean the hockey team? they were in Denver in 1980.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

My ex-girlfriend's step-uncle played for Cal-Poly SLO that year and if he hadn't torn his knee up the week before, he, too, would've been on that plane.
    [/quote]

Not to belittle the gist of your post, but wow, is that not the most tenuous relationship ever between two people?

[/quote]

If you're saying she's a bitch, then, yeah, haw haw haw.
    [/quote]

Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure that's not what I said.

[/quote]

I know. I took complete license. The step-uncle had a lot of great Madden stories, but when he spoke about the crash, understandably, his tenor changed considerably.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

If this movie works, they need to start making We Were SMU.

5. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

Been waiting so long for this one that the actual product can't top my expectations.

Kinda like waiting for the Hanks-Aykroyd version of "Dragnet" to come out in '87. And we all know how that one turned out (though Dabney Coleman's "Reverend, you got balls as big as church bells" came in No. 101 in AFI's top 100 movie quotes).

6. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Y'know, I always thought Matt Damon was a Streisand, but he rocked the shit on that.

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

MM = waaaaay nasty.
    He needs to quit sullying my school.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I thought the Dragnet movie was funny. Granted, not as funny as the deadpan acting style and Mamet Lite dialogue of Jack Webb on the TV versions, but still, not bad.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

"We are St. John's!"

The true story of how Mike Jarvis took a once-relevant Big East program and ran it into the ground. Starring James Avery as Mike Jarvis.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

"We Are the 49ers" -- same story, with the added twist of writers failing to challenge the blatant lies told by Carmen Policy and others during the mid-90s.

"We're not mortgaging our future." Right, Carmen.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

With DJ Jazzy Jeff as the player who repeatedly gets thrown out of the locker room.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted