1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Way to go, Mississippi!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 20, 2011.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Rankin County, Mississippi, folks handle the Westboro clowns pretty well.

Beat one's ass and no witnesses. Blocked them in at the hotel and no tow trucks available. Cops even join in.

http://thehayride.com/2011/04/westboro-baptist-church-goes-to-mississippi-and-loses/

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not a fan of physical violence and intimidation. It's sinking to the Westboro clowns' level.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Even less a fan of police failing to do their sworn duty in upholding the law and applying it fairly.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Dunno ... I kind of applaud the efforts here. So many people have said how they wish someone would standup to these fucksticks. Some people did, in creative ways. The cops' questioning them on a crime that probably didn't exist is the only thing that's a bit disappointing, but the blocking of the cars in the parking lot and the beating the shit out of one of them, excellent.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

They had me until the described Phelps as a "Democrat Activist" and when challenged on it, they wrote, "UPDATE: Some of the feedback we’ve received from this piece came along the lines that it’s inappropriate to refer to Fred Phelps as a “Democrat activist.”

We stand by that characterization. If anything, it’s an understatement.

Fred Phelps ran for major office in Kansas as a Democrat no less than four times. He ran for governor on the Democrat ballot in 1990, 1994 and 1998 and for senator in 1992. Phelps received 11,000 votes, or seven percent, in 1990, he received 5,000 votes, or three percent, in 1994 and he picked up 15,000 votes, or 15 percent, in 1998. And in the senatorial contest in 1992 he garnered 49,000 votes, or 30 percent. Phelps furthermore ran as a Democrat candidate for mayor of Topeka in 1993 and 1997.

Phelps also has been closely associated with Al Gore on several occasions throughout Gore’s career – Phelps’ son Fred, Jr. was a Gore delegate at the 1988 Democrat convention and the Phelpses hosted a Gore fundraiser in Topeka that year. Phelps claims that Westboro members “ran” Gore’s 1988 campaign in Kansas.

Phelps may not fit within the typical definition of “Democrat activist” some of our readers expect – but a six-time Democrat candidate is an activist Democrat. That is quite clear, as unknown to the public as it might be."

Now I hope the DOJ comes in and rounds up some of those fine Mississippians for what they did.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They're nowhere close to the Westboro clowns' level.

Anybody who stops the Westboro idiots from pulling their schtick, deserves applause.

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

A couple of my friends were involved with this. I sent them major kudos.

One of them was married to an army person, the other is married to one. They weren't going to stand for it and I applaud them.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Can't read it. The link is either broken or too many people are trying to see it.

Either way, if someone stepped up and beat the shit out of one of these assholes, give them a gold star.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They deserve a standing ovation.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

11. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Cool. Now maybe the fine citizens of Mississippi, including the upstanding Republican who runs that site, can get around to stop opposing interracial marriage.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

+1

Draft saved Draft deleted