1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Way to go, farmerj

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Sep 27, 2007.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I stuck my foot in my mouth at work yesterday and I'm trying to prepare myself for the shitstorm I'll face on Friday. Yes, it is all my fault. I'm trying to prepare for the worst, but I'm wondering what you guys do when you know you're going to get bitched out.

I have to work at 10 a.m., so getting shitfaced is not an option.

BTW, before I yelled at, I have to talk to the boss anyway and tell her I'm starting to look for another job purely for financial reasons.

Sooooooo, I'm not looking forward to this. Any suggestions?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What did you do? Details, girl. Details.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

First, what Doc said.

Second, you know you're in the wrong? Go in there, take your shit, apologize and deal with it. Nothing else you can do.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, accept it and try not to let them hammer you down...
    But also be smart about what you tell your boss about looking for another job. They might come back with "well, as long as you're looking, then..."
    Timing is everything...

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Yup, I would be careful about telling them you're 'looking' for another job. You don't have to tell them anything until you actually have a job.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Have a cold one waiting in the fridge for when you get home tomorrow.

Hard to offer advice since I don't know the specifics, but on those occasions when I know in advance that a big occluded front o' poo is headed my way, I try to step out of my feelings of the moment and try to imagine how I'm likely to look back on the situation in one, five or ten years. Then I try to handle it in a way that seems most likely to result in my being able to look back on the scene with pride- "Well, that wasn't a good situation, but I handled it as well as anyone in my position could have."

It's not often one gets to prepare oneself for a bad experience, so it's best to use the preparation time when it's there. Thinking about the future makes it easier to take the high road in the present.

7. Hiro

Hiro Member

Agreed: Never tell them you're looking until you put in your notice. No matter how good your relationship might be, or how "open" your office is about stuff like that. Just makes everyone uncomfortable.

8. farmerjerome

This isn't something that I could get fired over. It's more office gossip gone a little to far -- feelings hurt, etc. Basically you're basic unprofessionalism.

In a nutshell, a girl that I took under my wing at work is out of the boss' (sp?) good graces. There's a rumor going around that I told the girl my doesn't like her so she took some responsibilities away. Not true, but I may have said something stupid along the way. To keep a long story short, I got too involved because I like this girl and someone ended up getting hurt.

It's petty stuff, but this is retail with teenagers, so I feel badly. I talked to the girl tonight and she seemed to be okay, but I know something happened yesterday.

Like I said, petty stuff, but it sucks nonetheless.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

preportion?
    That's bad than... ;D

Dont tip your hand for the future... seriously..

10. farmerjerome

Yeah, yeah. I changed it.

I have to say something though. My job isn't in the balance here, and they'd be completely fucked if they didn't know ahead of time.

11. Usually, if you know it's coming, it's because you've screwed up (which you admitted).
    I have found the best solution is to go in knowing you're going to get it and try to head off as much as you can with a sincere, "I screwed up. I'm sorry. I won't let it happen again."
    When they are right about something they say critical of you, say so.
    Any boss worth their salt is going to respect that you accept responsibility for the mistake.
    Learn from it and don't let it happen again. Find a new way to screw up next time.

12. farmerjerome

Not a problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted