1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waterloo-Cedar Falls (IA) Courier sports reporter/designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RapidCityPsycho, May 14, 2008.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm going to vouch for my hometown paper. Traditionally, the sports department is solid. Great staff, great people. Doug Newhoff, Jim Sullivan, Jim Nelson, Kelly Beaton, and everyone else are as good as they come. The Courier does a spectacular job with the prep and college previews for fall sports and winter sports. Personally, they make the Register blush. 8)

MC Courier can not say enough about the coverage area. Colleges to cover: UI, ISU, UNI, Wartburg, Upper Iowa, and Luther. The metro schools (East Waterloo, West Waterloo, CF) and surrounding area are a lot of fun to cover. Newhoff, Sully, and Nelson covered my high school and college when I was still in school. There is plenty to cover.

I read The Courier first, and then read the Register. And I live in Des Moines. That's a testament to my loyalty to WCF.

As far as living in town, it's a good buy. Nightlife isn't the best, but if you can spend a few hours on UNI's College Hill, and finish a burrito at Joe's Nighthawk in Waverly, you can get through anything.

I would encourage anyone, even under age 35, to apply for the position. Who knows, I might run into you at an East High or Wartburg College game this fall.

2. MC Courier

MC Courier New Member

Thanks to the floods, interviews have been pushed back to next week. We could be putting our paper out at a different location later this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted