1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Water, water everywhere. She had too much to drink.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Jan 14, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If I feel like my bladder is gonna explode, I run for the bathroom -- despite any potential "reward."

I just think everything begins and ends with personal responsibility, and I'm not a big fan of passing the buck.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

If they're on the radio, and they're playing a radio in the background, it's going to sound horrible. So much feedback, the show wouldn't be listenable.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

These kids are without a mother. If this woman was your wife and they were your kids, I'd bet you'd have a lawyer hired by now.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I agree that most people in the hubby's shoes would probably do the same thing. But that doesn't remove the fact that a person's responsibility to keep themselves alive and healthy is theirs first and foremost. If you walk around trusting that someone else will always have that safety net there for you, you're going to fall to your death eventually. And it wouldn't be the fault of the people who forgot the net.

No one held a gun to this woman's head and FORCED her to drink water. No one.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But if the contest was seeing who could dash across a busy interstate I would agree. But most people probably would think you could drink a small pond before you kill yourself.

So to me this is 90 percent on the stupid radio station. But I admit I am biased against stupid morning shows.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Holding her wee is not what killed her. Drinking seven quarts of water in about an hour killed her.

She could have peed 10 times and still died, a big fat bladder didn't kill her. Too much water in her blood stream killed her.

If the radio station wanted to hold a hol your wee contest it would have been just as easy to have contestants drink a 2 liter bottle of Mtn. Dew, pop a couple of caffeine pills (diuretics) and start the clock.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

After reading the cbsnews.com account of the story and seeing it mentioned on Larry King last night, I have two questions:

1)The radio station management fired 10 people they felt were responsible for this stupidity. I am wondering why they did not fire an 11th person -- the station PD or GM, you know, the person who supervises these morning show morons, -- as well for letting them go through with this??

2)Who here *doesn't* think morning radio talk jocks do nothing but broadcast stupidity like this?

This may qualify as one more reason why I listen almost solely to NewsRadio type stations.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I miss WNYX. :'(

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

This never would have happened if Bill McNeal was still alive.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Andy Dick gets fired over this, at least some good will have come of it.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ace, you're right, I probably would sue if it were my wife who died -- at the same time, I would hope my wife would be smart enough not to participate in such a stunt.

As AA said, no one put a gun to her head to drink the water.

And if she felt sick, as she did after leaving work, why didn't she take herself pronto to the ER?

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If only to keep Andy Dick, the Jamie Farr of his generation, and Vicki Lewis safely segregated from the rest of society.

Draft saved Draft deleted