1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Water, water everywhere. She had too much to drink.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Both sides have blame in this. Although, the station gets more of it from me after finding a nurse called and said on air the people could die from drinking too much water. All she gets is a smart-ass response, "Yeah, we know. They signed waivers, it's not on us." What a douchenozzle.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sheriff opens criminal investigation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/18/AR2007011800170.html

Another triumph for fratboy radio.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

More proof of malicious intent on the station's part.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

That's what's really sad/ironic. The woman that died didn't even win. She held her wee until she died and her kids are still wii-less. Plus, for those people with a more Darwinian mindset, she already had two or three kids, so her wee-holding genes have already been passed on.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now here's a first-degree murder charge I would be happy to come back with.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I
    Mr. Starman Justice, I didn't think you'd come down on this side. This woman was told the health risks on the air by a LICENSED HEALTH PROFESSIONAL -- and she kept on going! Yes, her kids wanted a Wii, but if I were feeling sick, I'd drop out. I prefer my health to kids having a video game console.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, while the DJs were snickering alongside. The radio folks were the ones making her drink so much to stay in the contest. I'm sure she thought if she went potty, she'd be fine.

You think it would be OK to line up 100 contestants and jump a 4x4 over them to see if you can clear them all if a LICENSED HEALTH PROFESSIONAL warned of the risks of a 4,000-pound truck landing on your head?

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You got a link for that? Cause I haven't seen that in any story.
    According to an early link, a woman who claimed to be a nurse called the station and said it was a health risk, but one of the contestants said they never heard it in the room in which they were being held.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The story I'd heard on the TV news said she was on the radio while the skit was ongoing. I'm surprised they wouldn't have let the contestants listen, since that would've eliminated a bit of liability, methinks.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

lots of fun legal issues here. what a clusterfuck. the woman is no doubt partly to blame but she's dead and others played a role in her death, so this should also see civil court eventually. *definitely sounds like manslaughter based on the frat boy case.)

as for the civil case, the way to get around the waiver is to argue that one can't waive their way out of the obviously life-threatening situations. think of an extreme case in which you sign a waiver agreeing not to hold the radio station responsible for the 'defuse a loaded bomb in 60 seconds contest.' all people know that defusing a loaded bomb is dangerous and can kill. so it comes down to whether both sides knew or should've known the risks of heavy water drinking.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Bottom line: If you are holding a contest in which you feel it necessary to have a licensed health professional explain the health risks to the participants and/or the onlookers, which include possible death, you probably don't have the best interests of society in mind -- and you don't get a complete pass.

12. Sly

Sly Active Member

God, I hate morning radio.

Draft saved Draft deleted