1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Water fight to the Death: Branson v. Colbert

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Is Richard Branson meds? Does he need to be?
    Was this a stunt?

Virgin tycoon Sir Richard Branson hurled a glass of water of a TV presenter after he was banned from talking about his new airline, according to reports.

The multi-millionaire, 57, was being interviewed by US political comic Stephen Colbert in front of a live studio audience in New York when he lost his cool.

But despite being drenched, the host, who Branson had named a plane after, refused to be phased.

He demanded a bottle of water from aides and then retaliated by flinging it that over his multi-millionaire guest.

An unnamed member of the studio audience told New York's media website FishbowlNY: "Branson was apparently upset that he wasn't able to give a direct plug to the new Virgin service and doused Colbert with his guest mug of water.

"Stephen was drenched. He took a beat, then signalled for his own ammunition for about twenty seconds until Alison (Silverman) ran and gave him her bottle of water, and Stephen retaliated.

"The two of them sat for a very uncomfortable second looking like two wet cats.

"Then Stephen thanked him for coming. I really don't think it was planned, since Stephen had another bit to introduce and a full interview left to do.

"They had to get him a new jacket and even broke out a blowdryer."

Virgin America launched its inaugural flights from New York's John F Kennedy International and Los Angeles International Airport to their home base of San Francisco last Wednesday.

According to reports in The Sun, a Virgin spokesman insisted Branson had been invited on The Colbert Report to talk about the new low-cost service.

He said: "Richard did throw his water over Stephen. As most people know, Richard can be unpredictable."

Branson is set to re-record Colbert's show later this week.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Interesting stuff...but who wrote that story? It's got so many missing words and misspellings it was difficult to keep up.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Update:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08142007/tv/colbert_branson_fight_will_air_tv_michael_starr.htm

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Why wouldn't they let him plug his airline?

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It's fazed, you putzes! (Note: I'm not referring to anyone on this thread)

Please tell me that was AP copy.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There were so many misspellings and misplaced words in that story, I hope and pray it WASN'T AP.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I stopped reading after that one.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

This has to be from England, because the lead is Richard Branson and not Colbert. If it were AP, Colbert's name would be in the lead.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

So is this like Germany or Florida?

Draft saved Draft deleted