1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watchmen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 17, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A trailer is turning up, which I saw tonight on Apple's site.

Looks fantastic.

2. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Best comic ever, but can't do it justice in under 6 hours, methinks.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That would be balls, wouldn't it, to do WI and WII, like Kill Bill.

4. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I know Terry Gilliam suggested a miniseries and $120 million. Probably about right. But yes, W1 and W2 could do it. I just think too much will be lost in one take.

5. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Oh, and one other probem could be that so much of the background has been cribbed by The Incredibles, the new Will Smith movie and a bunch of the Marvel dreck. Except Iron Man. That one was actually cool.

6. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Best comic ever.

Reading it, though, takes time because you have to ingest an awful lot in each page. There's a lot there that you just can't skim over. Since you can't stare at a scene in a movie too long before, you know, the next one comes, I'm not too confident in this movie.

But it's such a tremendous book.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I worry about any movie with too much jammed in, and that is a real possibility here. But that trailer looks good.

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'm really interested how or even if they work in Tales of the Black Freighter (the pirate comic) into the movie.

9. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Waiting to watch the trailer at home so I can use max volume.

It would likely be better served as a two-parter.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yup, better as a miniseries or a pair o three-hour films.

I think the comic is excellent . . . but I'm not sure if the climax (fake alien being shows up in NYC! Boom! Millions die!)would play to a mass audience.

11. jps

jps Active Member

wandered across this today ....

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=10727720&ch=4226715&src=news

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Um...spoiler alert might be good there. I'm sure there are some on here who have never read it and don't know the ending.

I read a while back (I can't remember where exactly) that the ending has been tweaked for the movie version.

Draft saved Draft deleted